Chapter 3: Hidden Talent

When I got home, I hopped out of the car as Asher hopped out, too, and headed to the driver's seat. I waved goodbye as he pulled onto the road. When I turned around, I noticed Travis was in his car, listening to music, and bobbing his head up and down to the beat. I sighed. He wasn't going to be happy with me.

I pulled out my phone, since he still hadn't noticed me, and texted him.

Would it have been easier to go up to his car and knock? Possibly. But me, Travis, and my other friends, Logan and Ashley always did it this way because it was funner plus we were too lazy.

I'm here so get your ass outta the car, I texted him.

Somehow, in the midst of all that music, he heard his phone and checked it. When he read the text, he looked up and sent me a frown before turning the music and the engine off, hopping out of the car, and heading my way.

"Sorry," I said with a frown as I gave him a hug.

He just stood there and let me hug him.

"You're supposed to hug me back you bum," I said to him.

He chuckled. "But then that would make you happy. And you're so much cuter when you're angry" Travis answered with a smirk.

Let's get this clear. Travis and I have been best friends for years. And it will stay that way. We're not going to turn it into one of those I-fall-in-love-with-my-best-friend scenarios. We both agreed on that. One, because it would be weird and ruin everything. And two, because we both have a lot of ego and attitude. Yep, I just dissed myself.

"Awh, you're so sweet! Looks like someone had a good breakfast this morning."

Travis almost never has breakfast because he always gets up late and then has to rush to get ready for school, forgetting breakfast. This makes him angry and he acts like a chic on her period. But when he has breakfast, it's like someone else walked into his body. Then again, he does like embaressing and teasing me.

"It wasn't good, but it was something," he said and we both erupted in laughter.

"Want to go see Drew?" I asked.

"Sure. May we?" He asked as he held out his arm for me.

I smiled as I intertwined our arms and skipped next door to Drew's house. Before I even knocked on the door, Eliza, Drew's mom, opened it.

"Hey! I was worried!" she said pulling me in for a hug.

I was pretty much sufocated but I loved her so I didn't mind. When I pulled away, she pulled Travis in for a quick hug.

"Come in," she said stepping aside as Travis and I walked in.

I loved this house. It was familiar, warm, safe, and comfortable. I knew the house like the back of my hand. I don't even think I could say that about my house!

"Where's Drew?" I asked.

"Oh, he's in the play room, sleeping in his crib. He was so full of energy today. I'm happy he's tired," she said laughing. "But if you want, you can go in and check on him. I'm making dinner. It'll be ready in a bit."

Dinner? I thought. I glanced at the clock and saw it was 5:46. Wow, time went by fast.

Travis and I slowly crept into the play room, down the hall from the kitchen, and walked up to the crib. In there, was Drew, peacefully sleeping, huddled up in a ball in the corner. I silently laughed. He was so cute like that. Plus he reminded me of me when I was little. I had pictures of me sleeping like that, with a smile on my face. What that smile was for, I'm not sure. For all I know, I could've been dreaming about living in the woods or getting a new pair of combat boots for my birthday.

When we were done staring at the sleeping baby, we walked into the kitchen as Eliza pulled meatloaf out of the oven.

"Mmm, I love meatloaf" I said with a smile on my face.

"Why do you think I made it?" She said as she smiled back. Whenever Eliza answered, she didn't answer like a bitch at my school would, all stuck up and snobby. She answered it in a kind way. How she did that? I don't know. I know I couldn't.

Travis and I helped her set the table for dinner. Halfway through dinner, while we were talking about school, bleh, we heard a faint cry.

"I got it," I said to Eliza as I got up and walked over to the play room.

I walked over to the crib and picked Drew up. This instantly calmed him down. I rocked him back and forth in my arms. "It's okay, baby. I got you" I said before kissing his forehead.

After a few minutes, he was fully awake and still carrying him, I brought him into the kitchen where I finished my meal still holding him.

"I should make him something to eat," Eliza said as she stood up.

I glanced at her plate seeing that most of her meal was still there.

I slowly stood up. "It's okay, I got it. You can finish eating. I'll just grab a jar of baby food in the cabinet and a spoon."

She placed her hand on my shoulder, "Thanks so much, Riley."

I smiled at her. "No biggie."

I placed Drew down on the floor and let him walk behind me. When we got to the cabinets, he plopped down on the floor and sat there staring at me.

"Okay, what do you want to eat?" I asked him opening the cabinet.

"Apple sauce? Sweet potatoes? Peas? Ew! Um," I asked running out of options.

"Sheese" he said pointing up. I followed his finger to where a pack of those character shaped macaroni and cheese were. I picked it up off the shelf and showed it to him.

"This?" I asked him.

He laughed as he nodded his head, making me laugh.

"Okay, buddy. You want to go play while I start making it?" I asked him.

Drew got up and walked over to the play room before turning back at me. "Hewe" he said.

"Hold on, sweetie. I have to make your food and then I'll go over and play, kay?"

Drew dramatically sighed, something I taught him, before walking into the play room.

Once I was done setting up the water and pouring the pasta in, I walked into the play room to find Drew looking through a book.

When he saw me there, he smiled and patted the spot next to him. I sat down and looked around.

"Hey, you have a little piano?" I asked him as I walked over to the corner.

He followed behind me saying, "Pway."

"You want me to play?" I asked.

"Pway."

"Sorry, baby, but I don't know."

He turned to me with a frown. "Fine, fine" I said sitting down on the miniature bench.

I started playing twinkle twinkle little star. When I was finished, Drew pointed behind me.

I turned to see Travis and Eliza in the doorway with smiles on their faces.

"I always knew you still had it in you," Eliza said.

I glanced down at my feet. I was amazing at piano. I never took classes. It was a natural instict. But when my dad died, we were already short on money. Then we had to pay for his funeral and grave. Plus my mom stayed home from work for a month so we didn't earn any money.

Then one day, without my permission, my mom sold our piano. I was devistated. It was the one thing that had made me happy, even though my dad had died. And it was just another reason I hated my mother.

"I'm going to go check on the food. You coming, Drew?" I asked him.

He nodded and clapped as he followed me back into the kitchen where I put his food in  a bowl and added the cheese sauce.

All while doing this, I wondered. What would my life be like if I still had the piano? Would I still hate my mom? Would I even be this person? But I guess we'll never know.