Chapter 22: The New Student

I lay in bed with So Good by B.O.B. blasting in my ears as I nodded my head to the beat.

"Smile, and pack your bags real good baby, cuz you'll be gone for a while," I sang.

Then I remembered that I still had to pack for California. We were leaving next week. I shook the thought out of my head, telling myself just to relax for now.

Earlier, Brittany and I ended up going to Starbucks, getting lattes, and then coming back to my house to chat. If anyone said last week that that would happen, I don't even think God would've believed it.

But we did. And to be honest, it was kind of relieving to know that someone was going through the same thing as you, only worse in some ways. Even though Brittany still had her parents, they barely payed attention to her. They just carried on with business and barely acknowledged her, just pushing her away when they were busy which was like 24/7. She also had a brother that may or may not be alive. She wasn't even sure.

I told her a bit about my family and how my parents and brother got killed. I didn't have that much info to tell her about how my mother died because all I knew was she died due to a plane crash. After that, Brittany decided to go home and I agreed seeing that the others would be home soon.

And to be honest, when you actually got to know Brittany, she wasn't really a bitch. She was actually really nice and kind and I for once actually found myself thinking she looked beautiful. Maybe it's just all the hatred gets in the way and makes people think only negative about others.

Sometimes, it just takes seeing past all that hatred and putting differences aside to realize how much you have in common and the great side of others

**********

My two day suspension wasn't that bad. As a matter of fact, I would've stayed home either way because I was sick.

My throat was sore, I kept coughing and I had a killer headache.

Logan and Ashley kept me up-to-date in school by bringing me my homework and telling me all the latest gossip. The biggest made my eyes bulge out. Apparently, the day after I had talked with Brittany, she had went into school and told Asher that she couldn't be with him anymore. She thought he deserved better and I was that better. She also started getting better grades in class. She was obviously smart, just never wanted to show it. I smiled at that news.

I hadn't told Logan, Ashley, or anyone else for that matter about our encounter and I figured Brittany hadn't either.

The second day, I felt myself getting better. My body was slowly becoming stronger and my throat wasn't as sore. Possibly because I had like 600 throat drops a day. Just kidding. Maybe about 4 or 5.

When my suspension was over, I was still a little sick but not wanting to miss anything else and seeing that I was better and sick of being home alone all day until the others came home, I decided to go back to school.

It seemed that some people were shocked that I was actually back. They probably either thought I'd been suspended for longer or that I'd decided to leave the school all together.

I ran a hand through my hand as people began to turn and whisper with their friends. I ignored it as I headed towards the main office, my boots smacking against the tiled floors.

When I finally got to the office, I walked over to the secretary, not wanting to bother with Mr. McGuire.

"Hey, I'm back," I told her with a somewhat forced smile.

She looked up at me and smiled. For some reason she'd always loved me. Why? I wasn't sure but I just went along with it figuring that when a time came and I needed someone on my side, she'd be on mine.