Chapter 4: Matching Names and Faces With Jerks

Eliza got home at about 10 P.M. releasing me from my babysitting duties. Drew was fast asleep so the house had been really quiet and I couldn't stand the silence any longer.

"Hey, sorry I'm late. You're free now. Oh, and here," Eliza said as she dug into her back pocket producing a few bills and then handing them to me.

"Thanks, but no," I said shaking my head and pushing the money back towards her.

Her face deepened into a frown as she looked at me. "Riley, you need it. Not for your mom, or the bills. For you. I want you to save it to buy up for another piano."

At the word 'piano', my heart  froze as all the memories came back once again. Being happy, myself, free of stress. But I knew I couldn't take that money from Eliza. I'd been living without a piano for a while now. I'm pretty sure I could last a few more years or possibly my whole lifetime. Plus, she had done enough for me just by getting me away from my mom and Asher.

"No. It's fine. I'm not really into-" I started but was soon interrupted.

"Riley," Eliza started," your mom might believe you, but I sure as hell don't. I know you still love piano. Anyone that was here a few hours ago could tell. Even Drew could! I know it's hard for you and all but please take it. You might be trying to convince yourself you're fine without it, but I know that you know you aren't. Just please," she said sticking out the money for me again.

I reluctantly reached for it as I counted the bills. $25. No, I thought. I grabbed the five and handed the twenty back to her.

"Riley," she started.

"Eliza, please," I said pleading. "It'll make me feel bad. Either just the five or nothing for now. I'm not used to taking money from people so it's hard."

And that was true. I hated taking money from people. It just made me feel like I owed them and I hated that feeling. I didn't like people buying me stuff, or even giving me money. Even on my birthday I hated presents. But then again, they were never stuff I'd even wanted. Just new clothes, a new coat, makeup (bleh!) and a pair of sneakers. The sneakers I was fine with since my other ones were really old and starting to fall apart.

But anyways, I just didn't want to feel like I had to owe yet another person. I cringed at the memory. How could I have been so stupid then?

"Oh sweetie, don't cry," Eliza said snapping me out of my thoughts and walking over to envelop me in a hug.

I hadn't realized I was crying until she said it and I felt something wet trickle down my cheek. I pulled away from the hug and wiped the tears with my hands.

"I'm sorry, I'm tired. I have to go. I'll stop by tomorrow, "I said as I walked over towards the door,

Eliza nodded, but in her eyes, I could see she was worried. However, for her, she was used to my sudden mood changes.

I walked across Eliza's perfect, green lawn before stepping onto my dried up, horrible looking lawn. I dragged myself up the steps before turning the door knob and stepping inside the house. I heard snoring from the living room, confirming my mother was sleeping on the couch tonight.

I walked up the steps taking them by twos. At the top of the stairs, I turned the corner and walked down the right side of the hall before stopping and turning into my room. My room was fairly clean. The moon's light coming in through the window made the teal walls look even better.

I flicked the lights on as I took in my surroundings. My bed was nicely made. My basket full of dirty laundry was under my window. Next to my bed stood my bedside table with my clock, claiming that it was 10: 24, and two framed pictures of me and my friends. On my desk sat my laptop and mug full of pens and pencils and whatever writing utensils I had. My desk chair was neatly tucked into it's opening in my desk.

I sauntered over to my bureau and opened the middle draw pulling out my black shorts and an aero tee before pulling them on and throwing my shorts and tank top into my dirty laundry basket. I exited my room and walked into the bathroom, flicking on the lights. I brushed my teeth and then washed my face before flicking the lights off and heading back to my room where I tucked myself into bed, turned off the lights, and soon, was out.

------------------------------------------------------------

I woke up the next morning at 6: 50. I groaned as I hoisted mysef out of bed and pulled on a pair of jeans, a white dolman top that a heart on it, and my silver hightops. My hair looked pretty decent so I just ran my hand through it before grabbing my cell off the table and heading over to the bathroom to wash my face.

After that, I bounded down the steps into the kitchen where I made a bowl of frosted flakes and milk. I ate it in the living room while watching the latest episode of My Wife and Kids! One part was so funn that I almost spilled all the contents out of my mouth. Instead I ended up half- choking. Not fun.

When I was finished with that, I turned the TV off and deposited my dish in the sink before grabbing my backpack near the door, and taking my black North Face off the coat rack and putting it on, immediately giving me warmth.

I opened the door and closed it before taking out my key to lock it. Then I turned around and was immediately hit with a nice spring breeze. I smiled as I thought of what a wonder full day it was going to be. At least in comparison to yesterday because I wouldn't have to see that asshole Asher's face.

I walked down the walkway and down the sidewalk to my bus stop. Two minutes later, the bus was there and everyone was filing onto the bus, choosing seats, sitting with their friends, talking laughing.

"Riley!" I heard a voice yell.

I looked in the back to see my best friends Ashley and Logan sitting there. I walked over and sat down.

"Hey, what's up?" I asked.

"Well, we were just talking about the hot party we're going to today. Did you hear that the barbie dolls aren't going?" Logan asked using our nickname for those popular blonde slutty girls at our school.

":Seriously?" I asked surprised.

"Yes! More boys for us!" She said grinning. Logan was a girly girl unlike me asnd Ashley. The only reason she was our friend though was because if you picked a fight with her, she could be the fiercest bitch you ever knew.

Ashley and I just shook our heads before we all began laughing.

A few minutes we arrived at school. We headed over to our lockers which were all next to each other thank God!

"Oo. Ladies, 3 o clock" Logan said grinning.

We all turned to see the jocks coming this way. I named as many as I could. Jack, Dlyan, Jordan, Tyler, Blake, Jesse, Nick, Alex, Paul, Matt, and- Wait!

Apparently I was wrong, I would be seeing Asher's face again today! No wonder he looked so familiar yesterday. Why hadn't I noticed it was him? Why hadn't we said what schools we went to? Oh, right. Because I was being a bitch.

Asher caught eye contact with me as I stood there staring right back. His face was expressionless at first but then a smirk grew onto his face as he winked over at me.

I rolled my eyes. This was going to be a long day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys sorry I havent updated in a while... again. I'm so so sorry but here's another chapter. Actually we're throwing a party today and my mom keeps yelling for me to help her but here I am, making you guys another chapter lol. Anyways, next update will prob be tomorrw. Love you all<3