Chapter Forty-Two

December 6th, 2014

My butt severely hurt and my stomach started to twist in thousands of knots. I didn't really have a reason to be nervous, nobody did. We'd go up there, shake hands, and receive our diploma. Maybe it was because we were on our last step into the real world. And that scared the hell out of me.

"Luke Hemmings," said one of the guys- as if I knew his name. Luke walked up the stairs, both of his hands shaking, but one reached out to shake the mans hand, the other for the diploma. Liz was clapping extraordinarily loud from somewhere in the room, and so was my mum. A person or two later, Calum's name was called and he walked up the stairs, too. Unfortunately, my last name started with M, so I was still sitting.

But I wanted to go, I wanted to leave so bad. Everyone around me had plans and I felt like a bum. Even my boyfriend had a plan. I was going into college without a major, but I knew I wanted to do something in the English field. Luke was going for Music Education in England. I guess I never pinned him down to be the teacher type.

After my few minutes of zoning out, I had realised that everyone was standing around me, so I stood, too, and followed them to the side. I was minutes away from officially being out of high school. I waited, patiently, then finally I heard my name had been called and a lot more people clapped than I had planned. I brushed off my nerves and shook the man's hand, before taking my diploma away from him. Finally.

Luke smiled from his seat, then sent me a wink, so I winked back then walked to my seat. I was ecstatic that high school was over, but that was the fun part. I had finally been welcomed into Hell.

--

Calum's mum had planned him, me and Luke a graduation party later that day at their house. Everything was set up in his backyard and everyone was having a blast. But, quite frankly, I couldn't help but think of the perfect blue notebook that was sitting in my lap, waiting for Luke to become its owner again. I had torn out the first page, for my keeping, but the whole thing was filled with stuff I wrote about him.

My leg was bouncing up and down as I looked around me. People were scattered, everyone talking to somebody, but me. Andrew, Liz's husband, was flipping burgers on the grill, while she was talking to my mum over by the picnic benches. I loved Calum's backyard, it was always so welcoming. There were three trees, each lined up with one another and perfectly green grass beneath them. His porch was the size of a mini house, and a cute stone patio was coming off of it. The backyard was just so perfect.

I didn't even notice the sliding glass door open from behind me until the man's footsteps got louder as he made his way over to me. He even stopped walking and stomped around just to make sure I heard him. By then I knew it was Luke.

"Hey poopface," he said to me before leaning down to my level. I pouted and hit him with the royal blue notebook. "Ow! Hey! No you're beautiful, I love you," he flatly smiled, then pressed a soft kiss to my forehead. "What's this?" Luke pointed to the notebook in my lap.

"It's actually for you," I grinned. He was being kind of an idiot because his name was written on the front in big black letters.

"Wait-" he refused to take it. "Didn't I give this to you?" I nodded.

"I ripped out the page, but skim through it. I promise, I think you'll like it. I hope you like it." He gave in, taking the book from my hands, touching my one hand purposefully, causing my face to heat up. He then sat down onto the wood paneling.

"I feel like I should be scared," Luke said before opening it.

"No!" I shook my head. He sighed and turned to the first page. A few seconds later, he grinned and began to skim. I just watched him. I watched him lick his fingers slightly if he couldn't turn the page. I watched his eyes read every word carefully, and his tongue would run along his bottom lip as he beamed even more brightly. I knew at that point, I really was in love with him.