Chapter Thirty-Nine

October 23rd 2014

"You won't cry?"

"I promise, I won't cry."

"Don't aw or ooh or anything."

"Yes, I promise."

"What?"

"I promise."

"Okay, I'm coming out."

I turned the knob to my bedroom door slowly, catching a glimpse of my mum before stepping out into the narrow hallway. She tried her hardest not to say anything, but she cracked in the first two seconds.

"Paige you look so darling! Aw I'm so excited! Twirl for me!" she exclaimed, clapping her hands together. I scoffed and she backed up so I could do a mini twirl, but it didn't really work all too well in this dress. "You're going to have the time of your life, I almost guarantee it!"

"Almost?" I swallowed, holding the edges of my dress in angst. Yes, I admit it, I was nervous as fucking hell. I didn't have any reason not to be.

"I do guarantee it," my mum beamed. I looked down at the light blue dress and sighed. This wasn't me, but truthfully, I couldn't find a way to look like who I was for formal attire. "Now that you have the dress on, let's go do hair and makeup; shall we?" Nodding, I followed her into the small bathroom, where everything was set up. She had pins and a curling iron for my hair on one side, and makeup upon makeup, upon makeup, on the other.

"Can you believe this?" she squealed. "My little girl is growing up!"

"Stop!" I groaned. "He's been my boyfriend for like five months. I'm not growing up, I'm still 17." She was being unbelievably annoying lately.

"How long have you two known each other?"

I sighed, puffing out my cheeks before I responded. "I guess about a year." Wow, it felt like just yesterday I stood at Calum's house, gaping at the beauty of a guy I didn't even know the name to. Now, I'm dating him. Shudders, that's just weird.

"Nice," my mum smiled. "Let's start on makeup, sit on the stool." I did as she told and she started off with light foundation. "Today and your wedding day," she started. "will be the most makeup you probably will ever wear."

"Don't cake me, please," I pleaded. "I don't want to look bad."

"Oh, don't worry, I'll do it lightly. Will you want lipstick?" I thought for a moment, I never usually liked lipstick, nor lipgloss. I stuck with the usual Chapstick or lip balm, so it was a no from me. "Okay, well, close your eyes and let me do your liner." I did as she told me. "So how long have you liked Luke again?"

"I don't know, since January? February? He first took me out in around March somewhere, so I guess some time then," I explained.

"Wait- you're telling me that you two started dating, before you actually made it official that you were dating?"

"Yeah."

"That's weird," she said as she drew a line just above my eyelashes. "At least you know he's liked you for that long, too, or maybe even longer."

"I'm pretty sure that when he asked me out on a date, he wasn't sure of anything," I chuckled.

"Even his sexuality?"

"No," I shook my head and my mum groaned because I moved. "Sorry, but he hung out with this girl at my school, Hunter, for like two weeks." My stomach hurt thinking about that, but that was such a long time ago. I smiled knowing that we were together.