Chapter Nineteen

March 14th, 2014

He didn't go to school the rest of the week, nor contact any of us. Calum said the last thing he heard was that John was super pissed, so that didn't chipper my mood at all. We didn't meet for Nelly's even, but I had a feeling that Luke was okay. That bruise still remained in my mind, though, it was disgusting. I didn't know who John was, or what he looked like, but I really hated him. My feelings for Maggie were unknown, and I could say the same for Luke about her too.

I wouldn't trade my relationship with him so far for the world. He gave me the opportunity to a new reality. I hope he felt that way about me too.

For growing up the way he did, he turned out okay. A super sweet boy who always cared about others. He didn't have any piercings or tattoos, and he didn't do alcohol or drugs. What was keeping him from doing all of those things? Maybe it was his friends, Michael, Ashton and Calum. They didn't seem like good influences, but I still wanted to know how after Year five, Luke Hemmings got broken

It was frustrating because no matter how hard I thought about it, there was no possible way to fix Luke. All I knew was that I could be there for him and that would be it. It wasn't like I could tell the future. It didn't mean he would stay in Sydney forever either. Of course, he'd be 18 soon, and after we graduate, his plans would probably be to get the hell out of town. I wasn't so sure if I would follow him.

Here I was, thinking like we were in love. It was stupid and silly. I knew Luke just as well as anyone else, not very well at all. But also I didn't know what he was capable of either. So my thoughts consisted mostly of questions on if he was willing to love or not. Truthfully, I didn't even know if I was.

It was the night before the weekend. Calum was sitting in my basement with me just talking. The both of us were bored as hell, and since it was a Friday night, everyone else was either partying or not wanting to hang out. And Luke was just M.I.A.

So pizza and Pepsi it was, like always. There wasn't anything better except maybe sleep. I was exhausted.

"Pai, do you like Luke?" asked Calum. I almost choked.

"Sure." My face heated up.

"No, I mean like, like like?"

I rolled my eyes and tried real hard to make a good lie. "No; why? Does it look like it?" Damn, I was good.

Calum shrugged and pursed his cute fat lips. "Kinda? But, you know, I was just wondering," he said and awkwardly took a sip of his drink.

"Uh, okay." We didn't talk about much because these days the both of us were really quiet. It was wrong. A loud buzzing soon followed and Calum answered his phone immediately without checking the ID.

"Hel- oh, are you okay?"

I listened in as much as I could.

"Do yo- can we come over? Are they- yes I'm at her house. Are your... parents... home?" It was Luke. "Yeah, sure, we'll be right over." With that Cal hung up.

"Are you okay with going over to Luke's house?"

Calum had explained everything to me on the way over to Luke's house. His foster parents were both out, and would be until Sunday but the bad thing was that Luke was really sick with either a cold or the flu. I didn't fully understand the main reason of why we were going over there though. Cal didn't tell me and I didn't bother to ask.

We pulled up to the sad looking house, and since it was dark out, it had a spooky feel to it. Every window was blackened out so nobody could see in and nobody could look out. The wooden door was banged up and the paint on the side of the house was chipping drastically. Luke had lived here for two years, I couldn't believe it.