Chapter Thirty-Seven

September 27th, 2014

They were smiling like idiots, the both of them with their stupid hands in front of them, and their darting eyes like someone was going to come in and rob the place. "Am I missing something?" I asked but they shook their heads and continued eating. We were at Nelly's again, on a Saturday. It's little stuff like this that made us better friends than what we were. Otherwise, maybe I wouldn't have crushed on Luke so hard.

Or in his case, fallen in like-like with me. Love is too mainstream.

But the both of them were still acting like goofballs, and making me insanely uncomfortable. "Okay, stop, just fucking tell me what's going on?" I slammed my fists down onto the cold table.

"Nothing's going on!" said Calum with wide eyes. "If there was, I swear we'd tell you." They began smiling again.

"Then why are you two so giggly and smiley?" I asked, looking over to Luke.

"We're happy," shrugged Cal who was an obvious liar. "What time is it?" I checked my phone.

"Summertime," I answered.

"Fuck off, Paige, the real time," he scoffed and I snickered.

"2:15."

"Okay, well my uncle is coming over at 3, so I should get going. See you two assbutts later, love you both." Once he was out the door, Luke slid in next to me but then stood us up with our hands together. He was still wearing a cocky smile.

"You two are acting like you've killed somebody," I said but Luke just laughed.

"Not even close. You still have time on your hands? I want to take you somewhere."

"It's Saturday, of course I have time on my hands," I retorted. I noticed we were taking Luke's car to this mysterious place he wanted to go, so it wasn't going to be the park. "Now where are we going?"

"Just a little place I forgot about until now."

A forest just down the road from Luke's home was where we were headed to, apparently. He parked us at the entrance when we got there and we walked down a mini hill to enter the field of trees. Every time I asked a question, I was shushed so we walked in pure silence until we got to our destination.

It was a treehouse.

A fucking treehouse.

"Really?" I chuckled as he forced me to climb up the ladder. "Who's treehouse is this?"

"Nobody's, it's been abandoned for years. I'll be right back, stay up there!" he shouted then started running somewhere else in the forest. Oh god, was this gonna be one of those horror movies where the boyfriend leaves and the girl ends up getting eaten? Wait, it was too light out for that. I studied the decor a bit while he was gone. A gray plastic chair was up against the wall, and that was the dullest thing in the room.

The rest of the furniture were small, with a mini wooden table and a radio that was sitting on top of it. A bright orange rug was under my feet, a few stains, while posters covered the walls. Not to mention the billions of pillows and blankets. It seemed very cozy. There was also a guitar case in the corner, so I wondered if there was really a guitar in there.

But then I realised again that I was alone in a treehouse in the middle of the woods. A while later, not too long but more than five minutes, Luke showed up at the foot of the tree with a notebook in his hands.

"Are you coming up?" I called down while I was kneeling at the front door. He grinned and turned through many pages, then sketched something down but I couldn't see. "Luke," I groaned. "What are you-"