Chapter 25

The Bleeding Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 25

Eugenie coughed as smoke blinded her eyes, “Gwyneth?  Gwyneth!  Where are you?!”

The library caught fire, again

Eugenie then snapped her eyes open in realization and recognition as she was experiencing the most terrible déjà vu.  No…this can’t be happening… the fire from five years ago was traumatizing her soul.  No, she won’t let anyone die – not this time. “Gwyneth!  Can you hear me?  Gwyneth!  Please!  Answer me!”

“Eugenie!” A faint voice called.  Eugenie was sure though that Gwyneth was the one who was calling her.  She looked around, frantically searching for her cousin’s figure.  “Gwyneth!”

Ironically, Eugenie was standing right on the spot where Ryan had died.  She didn’t notice it though.  She didn’t notice that something was about to smash her skull too.

Eugenie looked around, trying to search for the voice that she did not notice the flame-immersed wood falling directly over her head.  “Eugenie!” Ryan exclaimed, frantic.  “Watch out!”

“Eugenie!  Look out!” she heard Gwyneth exclaim.

The next thing Eugenie knew she was sprawled on the ground.  “Ryan!  Ryan!”

Eugenie opened her eyes, finding herself on the floor.  Hazy images started to form a solid figure and the heat from the raging fire found her skin and she shuddered.  She started to look around, searching for her cousin even more frantic than before.  “Gwyneth!  Gwyneth!  Answer me!”

Then she found him lying on the floor on fire.  Eugenie’s eyes widened, “Ryan!”

Her mind and body stopped as she saw her cousin on the ground, her arms sprawled, her sleeves torn, her skirt badly singed, her torso having big, violet splotches marring it, her thighs having the hint of being burned, her face in a cringe as she struggled to her leg out which was stuck when another piece of wood fell her way.  “No,” Eugenie shook her head.  “This can’t be happening!  Gwyneth!”

She found herself trying to desperately put out the flames with her hands and the sleeve of her blouse, “Oh my god, oh my god, Ryan…”

“Gwyneth?” Eugenie rushed to her side, pulling her leg out from under the piece of wood.  “Gwyneth, answer me!  Gwyneth!”

“Eu – Eugenie,” Ryan gasped, his breathing shallow.  “Eugenie, I…”

“Eugenie…” Gwyneth coughed, blood trickling from the corner of her mouth with a hint of a smile on her face.  “You should be more careful…”

“It’s alright, it’s alright,” Eugenie said hurriedly.  “You’re going to be fine.  You’re going to be fine.  Let me call for help.  You’re going to be fine, Ryan.”

“I’m going to get help, Gwyneth!  Stay awake, please!”  Eugenie pleaded, getting up, her tears falling down already.

“No,” Ryan swallowed a difficult gulp.  “Don’t…I…I can’t…oh…”

“Don’t leave, Eugenie…” Gwyneth gasped, her breathing shallow.  “I don’t have much time…”

“It’s going to be fine,” Eugenie sniffed, more of soothing herself than him.

“No, you’re going to be fine!” Eugenie cried.  “I’m not just going to let you die!  I’m gonna get some help!  You have to stay awake, do you hear me?!  Stay awake!