Chapter 3

The Bleeding Heart

Chapter 3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't a trivial matter. No, it was far from it.

Elysia paced along the corridors just outside the Throne Room, nervous and worried. In peaceful times, a queen being killed was already something serious and though this may be considered as peaceful times, Orion and Aria had just come from war five years ago. And five years was too short a time.

The female knight wasn't the only one looking troubled. The ladies-in-waiting, maidservants, guards and fellow knights waiting outside were also bothered by the current situation. As soon as the grand double doors opened, everyone outside stiffened and tensed as the men of high ranks piled out, some whispering to each other and some walking alone, thoughtful. It's been a while since there's anything of this importance to discuss, and though it had been quite a boring five years, people, whoever they are and what status they hold, preferred it that way. At least, no one gets killed.

Elysia's eyes came to contact with her father, Llionel Scott. His eyes showed fatigue and weariness with a hint of fear. In an instant, a message was conveyed from father to daughter: Everything's out of control.

Elysia swallowed hard as her father cast her one last glance before turning around the corner. She bowed and shook her head when she felt something warm holding her hand. She looked up and saw the grave expression in Keith Raleigh's face. Elysia need not say anything for she already knew that the situation was already out of hand no matter what the royals say or do.

"What are they planning?" She asked quietly, loud enough for only Keith to hear.

He didn't say a word but instead led Elysia towards the adjacent hallway. They remained quiet for a moment until Keith broke the silence. "They're planning to send someone out."

"Who?"

"The king volunteered," Keith said swiftly, a wry smile on his face.

"Is that so?" In truth, Elysia didn't know what to think. Though having the king speak with the widower would've been the best proposition, it's also the worst. King Theodore would be in Aria's hands, given he is on their land and therefore at a severe disadvantage. Heck, there might not even be a disadvantage to consider.

"I think you know as well as I do that this will just be another chase of cat and mouse."

Elysia looked up, smiling a little, "Well, they love games, don't they?"

"Unbelievable," Keith shook his head though it was quite obvious that he was amused. "Such a situation and you could joke around."

"I'm just lightening the mood," Elysia said in defense. "Humor me, why don't you?"

Keith smirked and winked at her, whispering in her ear, "You know the answer to that already, my dear Elysia."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Three, Mother!" Princess Erielle said in exasperation. "Three! He plans to bring three!"

Elizabeth Cornwall, the queen of Orion, watched, slightly amused as her daughter paced back and forth, almost trying to pull her hair off. Her highness looked sideways, her gaze landing on the quiet woman sitting on a chair, her long hair braided and placed over her shoulders.

"Dear," the queen spoke up. "It's quite entertaining to see you so vexed when in all honesty and technicality; this isn't even your problem."

"I'm glad to know that you're finding this predicament amusing, Mother," Erielle said with a hint of sarcasm. "After all, it is only your son who's being sent off to a suicide mission."