Chapter 4

The Bleeding Heart

Chapter 4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Major Arden Levi was doing his usual rounds at a delayed pace considering the inspection itself was well, delayed. He still had to give the knights a sermon which was tiring in his part, mind you, since when the news about Aria's queen spread, they went to their cabins and in little groups, they gossiped like a bunch of old ladies. Really, now, who'd have thought?

He narrowed his eyes at a pack of males hunched together in deep conversation. Seriously. Major Levi rolled his eyes at the sight and in one swift movement, his dagger whizzed through the group, the dagger missing the knights' heads by a hair, quite literally, landing on a pillar with a thud.

The sudden attack made the knights turn to their superior in awestruck fear and like mice, they scurried to their original positions. Major Levi strode through the arena, shaking his head and collected his dagger. He looked around, shook his head once more and resumed his inspection.

Colonel Keith Raleigh and Second Lieutenant Elysia Scott entered the practice arena, side by side, hands brushing each other at times. Their entrance attracted the knights' attention. Being superior in rank, all knights present stopped in whatever they were doing and turned for a salute. Both Raleigh and Scott returned their gestures. The colonel's eyes wandered for a moment and as his eyes came to contact with a smirking major's, he led his second lieutenant to him. Once both higher ranking knights put down their salutes, the rest of the knights resumed their practice.

"You didn't show respect to your superior, Major," Colonel Raleigh taunted. "I should have you arrested for insubordination."

"My apologies, Colonel," Major Levi mocked.

Elysia rolled her eyes at both men and in a hushed tone, she said, "Stop it with the antics. The Royals have called for us."

"Us?" Major Levi arched an eyebrow. "The colonel, you and me?"

"Yes, Major, you, me and the second lieutenant," Keith answered. "Unless you've lost it and even the meaning of 'us' you've forgotten."

"That'll be the day, Colonel," Major Levi retorted.

"Keith, Arden, I'm saying this once and I'm not going to say it twice: knock it off," Elysia hissed.

"What's gotten her ticked off?" Major Levi turned to his superior.

Keith shrugged, "You know how she is, Major - temperamental and bipolar."

Elysia narrowed her eyes, "You better pray that I won't kill you both, Major Levi and Colonel Raleigh."

"What about that?" Major Levi turned to Colonel Raleigh. "Why don't you arrest her for that kind of insubordination?"

"Sorry, my friend," Keith shook his head. "But that I cannot do."

"Oh sure, you'll arrest your best friend for not saluting," Arden said. "But when your girlfriend threatens to kill that best friend and yourself, nooo, not only does it not call for an arrest but I take it that even calls for a reward."

Keith could only laugh as the trio went out of the practice arena.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

General Lance Bale stood up from his seat to face the now standing Second Lieutenant Veronica de Roquefort, "Thank you, Second Lieutenant though I'm afraid the information that you have supplied may not be enough."

"I know, General," Veronica nodded. "I do apologize."

"It's quite alright," General Bale sighed. "If you remember any detail, however, no matter how small it is, do not hesitate to tell me. Is that clear?"