Chapter 32

The Bleeding Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 32

Denise sat on a chair, facing the vanity in the room she was given.  She sighed, her hand unconsciously reaching the back of her left shoulder, pulling down slightly the sleeve of her dress, tracing lightly the birthmark that was embedded on her skin.  In this world, birthmarks were inherited – passed on from one generation and on to the next.  But birthmarks were only common for Arian nobles, especially to the Regent family which was famous for having a birthmark shaped like a six-tipped star on the back of their left shoulders.

Denise knew of the rumors, about how, for some unknown reason, the babies of Queen Rosaria and Queen Stella had been switched at birth.  Years ago, she had told her mother of her worries and doubts.  But her mother only told her to not mind them.  Whether or not Denise was her real daughter, it didn’t and it will never matter.  She wouldn’t ask for anyone else to be her daughter and certainly, King Edric and Queen Rosaria wouldn’t ask for an exchange either.

Elysia Scott had told her that while Queen Riza and Veronica de Roquefort were being treated, Trisha Klaus had told her everything that happened – Prince Eric’s motives, especially. 

And that’s what was bothering her. 

So, she really wasn’t a princess of Titus.  She was a princess of Aria, the daughter and only child of King Edric and the late Queen Rosaria.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Evangeline saw the messenger pigeon come her way while she was picking herbs.  It was the same pigeon Nadyn used when she told Evangeline about Richelle Chalot’s supposed death.  She straightened her back, reaching out an arm towards the bird as it landed on her lower arm, looking at her curiously.  Evangeline immediately saw the note attached to the leg of the pigeon and took it, scanning its contents.

Her eyes widened for a fraction before releasing the bird, silently telling it to go back to its master.

She rushed into her house, “Lady Klaus, gather all valuables, you’re all going to hide in the shelter.  We need to move.  Now.  All of you might be in danger as we speak.”

Trisha and Athena looked up from the table, nodding, immediately getting to work.

Evangeline clenched her fist as she burned the piece of paper into dust outside.  Damn.

Miss Seychelles, this is Eugenie Rennes from Orion’s Royal Academy.  Three days ago, we have sent anonymous letters to both King Theodore and King Edric so that we’ll be able to sort all this out.  As you know already, Prince Eric is the mastermind of all this and so, I could safely assume that with the contents of the anonymous letter sent to his father, he would do everything in his power to get Queen Riza and Princess Athena back to ensure the success of his plan.  Please hide them until further notice.  Do not hide yourself though, since that will only cause suspicion for they probably know full well that you have already returned from Orion.  Feign innocence if interrogated and do what you must to ensure their safety.  Orion thanks you.  Eugenie Rennes.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Evangeline had led her four guests in a shelter half a mile away from the house and gave Trisha and Athena instructions lest something happened to the two injured women.  A few hours after, Evangeline saw Eric and a few of his men tread their way down the path and towards her home.  Just as Miss Rennes had said, they did indeed suspect their presence inside her house.