Chapter 13

Pic of Nina Dobrev as Princess Denise Van Hoek on the side. =)

The Bleeding Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 13

Keith watched as Elysia’s pale blue eyes fluttered open and the hand that held hers tightened in its grip.  She could only see a bright, white light when shapes and hazy images began to form.  She tried to move but was restrained by the bandages and so she could only move her head side to side and settled on the familiar features of Keith.

She tried to speak but found that her voice was stuck in her throat, only able to give out a low moan.  After a couple of tries, she finally was able to say his name, “Keith…”

“Hey,” the said boy smiled. 

“Ugh,” Elysia groaned.  “My head hurts and my chest…”

“You hit your head on the ground,” Keith said softly, caressing her dark brown mane.  “I’d be surprised if it didn’t hurt.”

“I feel like I’m having a hangover,” Elysia described, sitting up.  “A bad one at that.”

“You should lie down, Lis,” Keith scolded.

“I’m fine,” she replied stubbornly.  “I can sit up.  It hurts but not so much…”

“Alright then,” Keith sighed.  “You’ll be out of this in a few weeks anyway.”

Elysia made a face then she started to panick as realization dawned upon her, “Keith…what happened?  How long was I asleep?”

Keith then hesitated, not sure what to say.

“Keith….”

“You –,” Keith said then sighed.  “You’ve been asleep for a little over a week.”

“A week?!” Elysia gasped.  “What happened after I passed out?”

“Well, the Arians attacked again,” Keith explained.

“Oh my god,” Elysia’s eyes widened.  “How long –?  How many –?”

“Roughly six hours,” Keith confessed.  “And um…twenty to thirty, I didn’t wait for the final tally anymore.”

“That’s awful,” Elysia choked out.  “And is that counting those from the peace envoys?”

When Keith shook his head, Elysia started to tear up, “And – and Francisco?  What happened to him?”

When she was faced with silence, Elysia’s tears started to fall, “Can’t be…He died…?  Veronica –”

“She’s fine,” Keith reassured her, moving to hug her.  “Franchesca too and Arden.  The Royal family’s safe too.  We’re holding a funeral for all of those who died in a few days.”

Elysia grabbed his shirt as she sobbed, “So many died.”

“It’s alright,” Keith patted her soothingly.  “It’s alright.”

He parted from her but still held on to her, wiping her tears, “We’ll get over this, I’m sure.  Everything’s gonna be alright.”

“I hope so,” she whispered.  Keith cupped her cheek, caressing her cheek and then planted a gentle kiss on her lips.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“We need to do this now,” Eugenie argued.

Gwyneth’s gaze swept from the book to Adrian and then back to her cousin, “We – is this alright?”