Chapter 1: Watch Where You're Going (Edited)

"Please tell me you're still considering going back to your room to change," Hayley whined. Her car had come to a complete halt in front of my house. For the past few seconds, she's been staring at me in disbelief.                                                       .

"What's wrong with what I'm wearing?" I asked, gesturing down at my clothes. 

I was pretty sure I looked decent. I was wearing a loose, off-shoulder, white sweater underneath my black overalls . I also did the extra effort accessorizing with a grey beanie. Just before leaving the house, I slipped on my my almost worn-out pair of Converse. 

What can I say? I love my Converse. There's no way you can convince me to part with them. 

"You can't seriously go to school wearing that," Hayley replied. "Did you wake up late and decide to throw on whatever pieces of clothing you could grab?"

"Um, no," I rolled my eyes. I just didn't understand what was wrong with what I was wearing. 

"I can go up and change, although I'm pretty sure you don't want to be late on our first day. Me, however, I don't really mind." I turned around and gradually walked back towards my front door.

"Fine!" Hayley honked on the wheel. "Get your butt in the car, Lex." 

"I thought you'd never ask." I gave Hayley my best sarcastic smile just to annoy her further. She always has, and will always be, the straight-A, dressed-to-impress student every teacher deems their favorite. 

Getting in the car, I shut the passenger's door of her Landcruiser and fastened my seatbelt.

"Why didn't you make an effort on your outfit today, Lex? It's the freaking first day of our junior year! Your outfit pretty much screams 'I don't wanna go to school today'." Hayley whined yet again.

"Well, because unlike you, I'm not excited to go back to school. And since we're on the topic of dressing up, you know I don't do extensive research on the latest fashion trends of every season," I rolled my eyes. "All I care about is functionality and comfort. Besides, you know I'm not the type for fashion." 

"And that my good friend is exactly why guys don't find you appealing," Hayley shrugged. "How can they if you don't put effort into how you look? And for your information, scrolling through fashion blogs is a pretty entertaining past-time." 

"Says the girl who doesn't have a boyfriend," I taunted. "You can't even be within a 10 meter distance from him and melt." 

Hayley has had the biggest crush on Dylan Haynes since middle school. Apparently, he's one of the, and I quote, 'hottest guys in Westbrook High'. As far as I can remember, she's been head over heels for him since sixth grade, doodling hearts and cupid arrows with their names in every notebook she could get her hands on. Unfortunately for her, he hasn't really noticed her yet. I bet he doesn't even know she exists. 

"If you must know, we had eye contact once!" Hayley barked.

"Which was when exactly?" I chuckled. "Are you sure he was looking at you and not at some girl behind you? Wait, are you talking about that time when you fell asleep in class and the teacher called your attention?" 

Hayley glared at my direction.

"Because if that's the case, it doesn't count. Everyone was starting at you and it was obviously impossible not to - dude, watch the road!"

I reached over the wheel and turned it just in time before our car hit a person in the middle of the road. Hayley screamed and stomped on the breaks. The force of the halt threw us forward before crashing us back against our seats.