Chapter 28

"No light switches or windows." We heard the thud as Mike slumped down to the ground. We didn't know where we were, everything was all dark. The only light source was the little peaks of light streaming through from the cracks under the door. I don't know how long we've been stuck here but it seemed like at least an hour. I heard the doorknob rattle once more as someone else thumped back to the floor.

"Still locked," Sammie growled.

I laid down on the ground with my hands behind my head staring up into the dark ceiling. So far, two unfortunate events have happened today. Jack being taken off again for rabies, and us being thrown into this jail cell.

"Aren't victors supposed to be treated like royalty," I said with a sarcastic tone.

"Yeah," I heard Brooklyn sigh next to me.

"This wouldn't have happened to Jack if you had saved him from the Lady Bugs," Sammie rambled.

"Hey, shut it," Mike hissed. "They wouldn't have been able to get him anyways, it's rather one with rabies or three with rabies alright!"

"Besides, with the medical treatment they have here they'll be able to fix him anytime soon...right?" Lily said with a soft voice.

All of a sudden our attention was directed right at the door as the knob jingled from the outside. I sat up and inched backwards, running into Brooklyn from behind.

"Oops," I chuckled.

The door slowly cracked open as we were blinded by the harsh light outside. A small voice spoke from the outside.

"Hey guys, I'm going to bust you out, alright," she said.

"What?" Mike asked.

"Oh, just come with me," she repeated in a hard tone. We all looked at each other questioningly.

"Might be our only chance," Kyle said as he stood up, rushing to the door.

"Great, any others?" The voice spoke. I immediately stood up and ran out behind Kyle, Brooklyn and the twins following behind.

"Fine, fine," Mike sighed, getting up.

Once my eyes adjusted to the bright light in the hallway, I saw the small girl standing by the door, silently closing it behind Mike and locking the door. She looked to be about our age.

"Alright, follow me, I'll tell you more about me in a sec," she whispered as she directed us to follow her.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I tried to keep up with her swift legs. She was thin and petite, barely up to my ear. She had bright purple hair that was up to her shoulders and was in a purple dress, a black cloak tied around her neck, flowing behind her as she walked.

"Ok, this way," she said, opening the door that led to the stairs. The stairway room was a soft blue, soothing to the eyes.

"Where are we going?!" Lily asked, running down the stairs.

"Shush, or they'll hear us!" The girl hissed. "Ok, stop here," she said, sitting down in the middle of the step. "Well," she said, gesturing to the steps for us to sit down.

"Alright, so my name is Oceane--"

"What?" Kristen interrupted.

"Oh-she-ann," she rolled her eyes. "But listen, I'm from a Tribute Protection Group, or the TPG. There are others like me, who help those...Capitol victims. This isn't the first time someone has overrode the system."

"What are you saying?" I asked.

"Oh darling, the Capitol has done very terrible things to your families," she said in a hushed tone as the twins looked at each other. "But anyways, we need to go right now, before President Becks sees you." She pulled out seven cloaks from under hers.