Chapter 17

"LILY WHAT THE FUCK!" I scream down from the tree when her face finally came into view.

"OH SHIT, I'M SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS YOU!" She jumped.

"Ok, let's keep our voices down, don't want the others finding us." I ripped her arrow out the tree and threw it down to her as I carefully climbed down, making sure to step on the chunkier branches.

"At least I found you," she finally said once I made it back to down. She picked up the retrieved arrow and loaded it back in her bow, always staying alert.

A loud commotion of cannon sounds blasted at once, making the both of us jump.

"Oh jeez, that's a lot of people," she said, her eyes widening.

Every time someone has died, or been eliminated, the cannon goes off. By the looks of it, multiple cannons have been blasted all at once.

"It was probably from the center," I huffed.

"I just hope everyone's ok," Lily sighed.

At the end of the day, they show all the faces of the tributes who have died that day. The gamemakers project them into the night sky for the rest of the tributes to see.

"We should keep moving," I tell her, pulling a knife out of my pocket just in case.

We walked for about thirty feet before we were stopped in our tracks by that oh so familiar scream charging from behind us.

"DOWN!" I scream, just as Jack's body went limp and ate the dirt.

Lily fired her arrow just a second later, puncturing the male from District 2 in the heart. He dropped his sword as he crashed to the ground, the cannon blasting in the background.

"Hurry, get his stuff." Lily rushed over to him, retrieving her arrow and sliding it into the sling on her back. I picked up the sword and handed it to Jack as Lily checked the male's pockets.

"Here," I smiled, handing Jack the sword. "Since you always said you didn't want to be a support."

"Woah." He started swinging it around, slicing through the air. "This is so cool!"

"Come on guys, the hovercraft is coming." I point up at the sky, the giant plane flying in our direction.

Whenever a tribute dies, the gamemakers send out a hovercraft to retrieve the body. I suppose it's for burial uses. We started heading north again, luckily not running into anyone.

"I can't believe you got him girl, good job." I reach over to give Lily a high five.

"Thanks," she grinned. "And you!" She turned to Jack. "Why the fuck did you not just shoot him with your damn blow gun! You got one right?!" She swatted his arm.

"Well yeah but..." he mumbled.

"Useless." She shook her head. "I swear, if we need food you're our first option!"

"Woah woah, I did not agree to that..." I objected.

"Fine then, more for me," she growled, her braid swaying back and forth with each stride.

"Guys I think I hear something," I hush, motioning for them to follow me.

It was almost evening, and we still didn't find a place of shelter yet. We heard hissing whispers coming from behind the mess of trees. Cautiously moving forward with our weapons loaded, we progressed slowly, but then dropped everything once we saw who it was.

"SHIT, GUYS! I FOUND THEM!"

"MIKE!" Lily squealed, throwing her bow over her shoulder as she ran to the others.