Chapter 21

"ARGHGHGH!" I fell to the sand, red puddles forming around my legs.

With all my power, I arched back and ripped the knife out, throwing it in front of me. The wound was large, it had sliced from the middle of my calf to my ankle. I dug my fingers into the sand, trying to haul myself away from the beach. I propped myself on my free leg, but I kept wobbling about, crashing back on my stomach. But every time I fell, an urge in the back of my head told me to keep going, but I knew I was going to die here anyways.

I fell on my knees one last time as I reached for the knife in front of me. A scream escaped when a boot flew into my chest, kicking me so hard I fell on my back. The tribute chuckled as they grabbed the knife and sat on my stomach, rocking back and forth as they held my arms down.

"We meet again," Tia smiled.

"TIA, GET THE FUCK OFF ME!" I squirmed under her weighted body.

I had seen her train before with her partner Esquil, from 9. I knew that she wouldn't let me go. What the hell was she doing with a knife anyways?

"You're a silly little girl aren't you." She brought her knife up to my cheek, then brought it back as she stroked my baby hairs out my face.

Out of no where, a knife came spiraling through the air, stabbing straight into the side of her throat.

"GET HER!" A voice screeched behind me.

As shrieking screams came from Tia, I grabbed the knife from her hand and slid it away on the sand, rolling over as I pinned her to the ground. My head started pounding as I twisted the knife out of her throat. With all my last strength, I raised my arms up and closed my eyes shut, as the sound of her skull below me cracked and cracked, each time my knife went through her forehead.

Two cannons fired at once, as someone came rushing up to me, grabbing the knife from my hand and hoisting me off her body.

"CARA, STOP!"

"BITCH DESERVES IT!" I cried, trying to escape the bond.

"Stop," he cooed. "Come on, let's get your leg cleaned up."

He swung my arm over his shoulder as I limped to the water. Looking back once more, I saw Tia being hoisted up by the hovercraft, her mangled face oozing blood.

"So you got Esquil?" I panted.

"Yeah...he was behind in the bushes keeping look out."

Brooklyn helped me sit down as I rolled my pants up, blood smeared and dripping from my leg.

"Thanks...for back there..." I winced when he splashed water on me.

"No problem," he smiled, reaching for bandages from his back pocket.

"Wait...I have ointment in my bag." I rolled over to my side, dragging my backpack over by the zipper as I pulled out the jar.

"There's barely any left," he frowned, looking into the small container. "But I suppose it's better than nothing."

He smeared the last ounce of cream onto my leg as I let out a satisfying sigh. He ripped the roll of the bandages in half as he bent my leg, wrapping the cloth around as he started tying.

"High-five," he laughed, putting his hand up.

"For...what?" I hesitated, slapping my hand onto his as he slowly locked his fingers around mine.

"For killing Jo! Hah, the fucking bitch," he smiled menacingly.

"It was Mike, not me."

"I guess I give him props for that," he laughed, tightening the last knot.