Chapter 4

The car ride was short, but bumpy. The driver had taken us to the Mayor's home and as soon as the car had slowed down to a stop, two different guards swung open the doors and pulled Jason and I out. These ones had blue uniforms on, with brown badges, way different from the shabby white uniforms back at the town square.

"You have 5 minutes to say your goodbyes, then we're off to the train station," one of the guards instructed us. I don't know why they bothered building a railroad system over the ocean when a boat would be just fine. Impatient Capitol snobs..

I ran over to my mother, who was standing next to the other car and I gave her a big hug.

"I promise, everything will be ok. I'll try to survive. I'll try to come home," I tried to contain my emotions. My mother let out gasping sobs.

"Win, Cara. Win. Win for me. Win for District 12." She put something in my hand, clamped it shut, and kissed my knuckles. "For good luck." After a few kisses and goodbyes, I was ripped from her arms and thrown back into the car. I looked outside the window and saw Jason screaming like a little brat.

"NO! I DON'T-- I CAN'T LEAVE MY MAMA, NOT NOW, IM TOO YOUNG TO DIE!" He gripped for dear life onto his mother wide eyed. She was a round and plump lady. I remember in grade school she used to pack him cookies to eat at lunch. They didn't help with his new "diet plan"..

My thoughts were interrupted by the slamming of Jason's car door, the compact space now filled with the sound of tears. I looked over to him and then quickly looked back out the window. His eyes were flushed red, his face was on fire, and even worse, his snot was flying everywhere.

"HEY! WATCH IT YOUNG MAN, THIS IS VERY EXPENSIVE LEATHER!" yelled the driver from the front. Jason kicked his seat and turned out his window with a pout on his face. I don't think he's arena material.

He stayed grumpy and moody the whole long drive to the train station. I was told we'd be met up with Figs and our mentor, Katniss Everdeen. Mentors are people who help teach us and guide us along the way through the Hunger Games. Katniss was a previous year winner. She won from an attempted berry suicide-- wow I should really pay more attention in school shouldn't I..

Once we got to the train station, my partner and I and stood side by side waiting for our train. The drivers had already driven off back to the district, so we were stuck alone. Jason was sitting on the bench, still in a sour mood. I decided to stay away and lean against the grimy wall.

The train was vastly ginormous and very high tech, equipped with state of the art touch screen menus and automatic sliding doors. Its wonder that it hasn't collapsed into the ocean yet. The doors opened with a giant gust of fresh air, blowing my hair in crazy directions. I heard Jason giggles like a pansy. Before anyone could take a step through the doors, Figs rushed out and greeted us with big arms, kisses included.

"Oh my darlings, you made it! How was the trip!" she said gleefully, while kissing Jason's cheeks. He wiped at his face with his sleeves, and then rubbed the moisture off with against the side of his pants.

"Terrible," Jason growled under his breath.

"Jason threw a bitch fit," I smiled at him.

"HEY SHUT UP!"

I ran inside the train doors and seated myself against the window before he could slap me. Figs cautiously maneuvered the troubled boy through all the seats and tables and then sat him across from me.

"Now I'm going to go get some drinks, you two work yourselves out. I won't be back for a while, but feel free to call me if anything happens", she shot a look at Jason.

"Bye Figs," we both said. She trotted off with her clunky heels.

"Hey, I'm sorry I was being so moody out there and in the car. I'm just so upset. This is the last place I'd like to be right now." He put his face into his hands and started breathing heavily. I started worrying if he was able to breathe or not but I didn't wanna bother him. Besides, if he did pass out, that's one less person I had to fight in the arena...

"My name's Cara by the way." I decided this would be a good time for proper introducing.

"Yeah, I know," he glared.

"Well damn..." I thought to myself.

" I need to go to the restroom, I'll be right back." He got up and walked through the automatic swooshing doors.

I kicked my feet up onto the small chestnut coffee table separating the our two seats. Or well, benches. I slouched back against the cushions and shoved my hands into my cardigan's pockets. Something stabbed into the tip of my thumb and I swung my arm out, almost smacking one of the waiters carrying drinks that was walking by.

"Oh gosh! I'm so sorry." Good thing I didn't actually hit him. He grunted but still kept walking, never making eye contact with me. I carefully put my hand back into my pocket and pulled out a shiny gold pin. It was round, and had a swirled design on it, with spikes going all around the edges. At first I didn't know what it was and how it had gotten in my pocket, but then I realized that it was the good luck charm that my mother had given me before I left that afternoon. I looked out the window and saw the sunset. Time flies doesn't it. I put the pin back into my pocket, just as Jason came up with aisle and plopped back into his seat.

"What took you so long?" I questioned.

"What took long?" He seemed lost.

"You were in the restroom for like 5 minutes, the hell were you doing in there?"

"Nothing you'd need to know! Now stop asking me!"

My eyes widened as my mind flew down the gutter. I scooted back into my seat away from him. As if he could read my mind, he flashed a perving smile.

"Gross," I mumbled.

"Haha I'm just kidding, I was just keeping my weave in check."

"Excuse me..." The hell he just say?

He reached into his pants' pocket and pulled out a small tube of hair gel.

"Believe me now?"

"You're fucking unbelievable." I rolled my eyes and craned my neck out the window.