Chapter Thirty

Start

Luina tensed as she watched Scott approach them with jolly strides. There was, however, something off in the way he smiled. Drostan slowly moved to draw out a dagger from his belt under the table, with a firm hand, she caught his wrist, never leaving her eyes from Scott.

"Guys, you're acting all strange," Scott chuckled awkwardly as he reached their table, scratching the back of his head.

"What brings you here, Scott?" Luina asked, casually resting her elbows on the pages of the book before her.

"Well Galvus said that you went looking for Drostan," Scott shoved his hands in his pants.

"What do you need her for?" Drostan asked, feigning a cheeky grin.

"Well, to find you of course," Scott turned to Drostan.

"Is that so?"

Luina and Drostan exchanged glances before he asked his protege once more, "what do you need me for?"

Scott paused, his face had gone blank. What was with the sudden silence? Did he find out? Did this lost soul find out that they knew? Drostan could feel a sheen layer of sweat encase his skin.

"Tomorrow, what shall be my routine?"

The blonde blinked, "same as always,"

Scott narrowed his eyes, "you sure that would be a good idea?"

"Definitely," Drostan threw his hands up, "like I said, that plan is the best plan,"

"Why are you in the library?" Scott asked. The tension in the air had gone thick. One false move and who knows what was going to happen from here.

"To research," Drostan answered smoothly, never skipping a beat.

"On...?"

"What the true nature of your dragon is, of course," Drostan rolled his eyes in faux irritability, "do you have any clue what your dragon is, any sign?"

Scott's eyes flickered to the stack of books beside Drostan and read the spine, "Immortalis Mysteries?"

Luina's gaze flickered back and forth from Scott to Drostan. She could feel her pulse race against her neck.

"Mythbound Legends?" Scott mused as he lifted the book in front of Drostan, "why are you reading these?" he flipped through the pages. Drostan had forgotten which page he had left, but as far as his memory served him, he had been reading about Doppelgangers.

"Phoenician stuff," Luina interjected, hastily sliding the book she was leaning on to her lap as she languidly plucked the book out of Scott's hands, "we would want to make the Phoenicians believe that we have a wind dragon,"

She moved her cold, clammy fingers to turn the pages to find the content full of wind dragons, "we need to study more about them,"

Scott did not move as she stood next to him. She has never confronted a Doppelganger before, and still had much to learn about them. Could they smell fear? Or easily determine lies?

"Let's just head back," Scott finally said.

"Sure," Drostan rose too quickly on his feet, "let me just put these away first,"

"I should stay and help him," Luina added, trying to sound as nonchalant as she possibly could. She needed to relax as Scott stared at her before explaining herself, "it's a lot of books he needs to put away,"

"Let me help," Scott shrugged as he went towards them.

"You seriously don't want to chaperone us, do you?" Drostan winked at the redhead playfully, though inwardly he was begging for him to just go away.