Chapter Five

"Hold the tail,"

"I don't think that's a good idea--"

"Just do it,"

"I really--"

"Scott," Luina was on the brink of her patience.

"Okay, okay, okay," he grimaced as he pinned his dragon down by the chest and its tail flat on the ground.

Luina held the rope against the dragon's snout and straightened its neck to fully measure it all the way to the tip of its tail.

The dragon began screeching loudly at such a migraine-causing octave stirring panic in Scott as the hatchling began squirming to break free. Just after Luina finished measuring its length, the dragon who was hugging his hand with its tiny little paws automatically licked its eyes, its tongue lingering a little longer on the right eyeball.

"It's okay widdew guy," Scott cooed, "this won't hurt at all,"

Luina unfurled one of its wings to begin measuring it only to have it wildly scratching his wrist and screech in panic.

"Gah!" Scott yelped in pain, instantly freeing the frightened dragon as it scrambled away from the two. They chased the dragon--literally--around the room until in one swift moment, the dragon hopped through the top of the couch, leaped haphazardly landing on the doorknob and then flapped its wings once only to successfully entangle itself on the ropes meant to ring the bell.

"It's stuck," Scott stated incredulously. Both he and Luina exchanged glances before slowly, he looked away from her.

When he didn't move or speak anymore, Luina asked carefully, "Pengadorn?"

"I'm..." He muttered as words faded to incoherent words for himself.

"Pengadorn?"

With a grief-stricken facade Scott bawled out helplessly, "I'm the worst Dragoneer there possibly could be. My dragon doesn't even like me--"

A slap across his face instantly shut him up and froze him to the spot, "pull yourself together, Pengadorn," she explained firmly, "just go and get it,"

"Okay," he whispered. Imperturbably, he slowly snuck up to the dragon. Because its eyes dominated majority of each sides of its head it noticed Scott approaching and began panicking.

It struggled to break free for a moment, but after it got tired, its tongue whipped out of its mouth again to moisten its eyes only to interweave it to the rope.

Leaning in close to get a better look, he mentally began solving how to disentangle the dragon's tongue from the rope. It began crying aloud again, startling Scott for a moment.

"Shh," he whispered, "I'm trying to help you,"

The dragon's tongue twitched the moment it instantly fell quiet as if its urge to moisten its eyes was great. It was as if it could understand him. Carefully, with his forefinger and thumb, he held the tip of the dragon's tongue. The feel of sticky slime and squishy texture was such a horrendous alien feeling that a shudder raced up and down his spine until he eventually--"GAH!" He screamed a dying elk.

Frightened, the dragon screeched in fear joining Scott in his ear-splitting baritone scream. Ultimately, Scott was getting nowhere as he began wiping the drool off his hand against the tapestries hanging on the walls.

"Here, let me do it," Luina dragged the traumatized redhead away as she began her attempts of untangling the tongue and rope.

The dragon never ceased to a silence stirring even more panic from the Dragoneer.