Chapter Three

"Let's start off with the first representative here on the new list..." Salamand began murmuring to himself before scratching his head.

It had always been a familiar habit Scott grew accustomed to whenever the bald man felt something was off during his many trips to his office. Just then, Salamand excused himself from the audience and approached the eight kings who inanimately sat on their thrones like immortalized statues.

"What's happening?" Scott asked Luina.

"What do you think is happening?" She answered in a slightly irritable manner.

"Jeez," he arched a brow, "what's eating you?"

She helplessly groaned and rolled her eyes, "your idiocy, that's what,"

"Look," Scott pursed his lips, "I'm not trying to pick a fight here,"

"Neither am I," answered Luina.

"I apologize for the sudden announcement," Salamand began, quickly interrupting a brewing argument, "I was supposed to mention this during the ceremony," he simply chuckled his blunders away.

The crowd began laughing politely in a controlled manner that instantly fell quiet as Salamand concluded the Preliminary Exam, "Let us all recompose ourselves first and prepare for the Ceremonial Grazing later at around seven in the evening after tonight's feast,"

With the sound of trumpets the event concluded itself. Dragons began their descent from the skies, unloading their audiences and other examiners who weren't as fortunate enough to pass the next round were safely brought to the ground.

Knights began spilling into the arena, three approached Scott. The one on the left had his golden hair on the sides of his head shaved off. The middle that was the tallest of three seemed to be fond of braids given that any hair visible on him were in one and lastly, the knight on the right had such neutral features that Scott found difficulty in deciphering the Knight's gender.

When they were a foot or two away from him, they bowed slightly with a flat facade as the one in the middle spoke, "Sir Pengadorn of Pendragon, I am Dragoneer Maktin and here are two members from my Dragoon, Felledor and Isatoff. Please follow us as we lead you to your waiting quarters,"

Without any hesitation, the redhead complied. Two other knights walked behind his flank; the other candidates and their group of knights fell in line behind him, altogether their quick trip to their destination began.

They passed by a straight hall made of cloth until they reached an isolated camp fenced in by wooden barricades just a few meters from the arena's main exit. In it were four tents represented by their corresponding flags, Pendragon's was that of two dragons, one serpentine and one feline, intertwining a sword whose blade pointed to the sky.

Two of the knights that were following him from behind quickly took their posts at each side of his tent's entrance while the one who led the way opened the tent flap for him.

He blinked, mildly taken aback as this was the first time he being given such treatment.

"Should there be anything you need my men will be standing right here," Maktin began, "there will be no need to step out as your food will be delivered to you. No visitors allowed until after the Ceremonial Grazing, your stay here overnight will be optional should you be the chosen Dragoneer for a morning celebration that will only then take place."

"No worries, it's not like my uncle is--" Scott tried striking a conversation as the Knight began shoving him towards the tent. Once he stumbled in he quickly wheeled around only to have the Knight block his way as he began his practiced words.