Chapter Twenty Three

"Is this even normal?" Scott asked as he grimaced at the bottle Drostan was using to collect Whistle's saliva.

Simply standing there watching the vile, mucous liquid miss and spill over the ever so tiny opening was more than enough to send shivers down the redhead's spine.

Whistle on the other hand had been whining, given that the poor creature had also been standing in front of a slab of meat Galvus was holding. It was a cruel, torturous method, but it seemed the only easiest way to get things done just so that the dragon could drool all over it.

Morschell and Luina on the other hand were equally hugging the dragon so that he would stay in place just in case he could no longer resist the juicy hunk of beef.

"Well a minute has gone by and this bottle is barely full," Drostan sighed gathering the last bit of Whistle's saliva by scraping the brim of the palm-sized bottle against the corner of the reptile's mouth.

"Is that it?" Scott asked, getting paler by the minute when Drostan swirled the bottle to give a demure whiff of Whistle's saliva. It was too much of a sight for Scott to take in that he had to look away and think happy thoughts.

"Yes, yes," Drostan sighed impatiently as he waved them off.

As soon as they were no longer within a dragon's line of vision from Scalesia, they immediately camped along a conveniently placed oasis in the middle of this desert-like terrain and began their impromptu research.

The moment Luina and Morschell let go of Whistle, he immediately snapped at the meat before Scott gave him the signal. The realization of this ‘terrible misbehavior’ began sinking in the moment Whistle swallowed his meal since Scott was already shaking his head in disappointment. Out of guilt the dragon flattened his ears against the sides of his head and lowered his gaze like a child would to a reprimanding mother. Apparently, this didn't last too long.

When Scott turned to face Drostan, Whistle was back to running around. The Dragoneer caught his instructor standing next to his big red dragon, holding the bottle above a burning stick. Scott arched a brow.

"Soup, anyone?" Drostan grinned. It was enough to make Scott grow nauseous.

Drostan spent a few more moments running through tests on bottles of Whistle's essence such as his saliva, nail clippings, scale clippings and even the dragon's ear wax. All of which were not easy to attain. Morschell assisted him because of the notes he gathered from the library and his broad stock knowledge while Scott watched them long enough until he couldn't any more.

Instead, he went over to a large tree the size of Drostan's Dragon's thigh that stood nearby the only clear source of water they could find out here. Luina was taking a nap on one of the low, sturdier branches while Galvus sat by one of its upturned roots, gathering all the fishes Whistle was retrieving for fun. How these fishes managed to get stuck in this miniscule pond was something Scott couldn’t even bother to understand.

"Well?" Luina hollered from above slightly startling Scott.

"Well what?" Scott craned his neck to her.

"The sun is directly above us at this point and we barely have half a day more to get to Blouyein," Luina propped her head against her palm, "any luck?"

Scott shrugged and sat himself down against the tree with his elbows on his knees. Whistle was swimming rapidly against the newly formed currents until he created a mini whirlpool that trapped more fishes before he leaped out from the middle and gag out the fishes he caught. At this point, Scott couldn't take it anymore and lunged forward to regurgitate the contents of his breakfast.