Chapter Twelve

"It's almost been a week, lad," Kromax commented, "Has it blinked yet?"

Scott crossed his arms against his chest as he stood on the left of his instructor, "not that I've noticed or anything,"

Kromax grunted, "at this point we've already covered the basics. We should be moving in to refining yer dragon's element by now,"

"It can sleep with its eyes closed, though," Scott added hopefully, "does that count?"

"That should have been achievable three days after hatching," said the burly man.

"Maybe it's a late bloomer," Scott mused, "you know I had that problem growing up--"

"We're humans," Kromax turned to Scott, "they're dragons, do ya see any similarities there, lad?"

"Well--"

"Again, both liking roasted boar thighs does not count,"

Scott sighed, "so what are we going to do today, then?"

"Nuthing," Kromax began walking away from the two.

"Now hold on," Scott hurried to stand in front of his instructor, "isn't there something we can do today?"

Kromax hummed thoughtfully, "have ya got yer summoning piece?"

The teen grimaced, guilt washing over him after realizing the fact that he hadn't made one at all.

"Can you even whistle now to begin with?" Kromax planted his hands on his hips, ultimately intimidating Scott.

"No?" Scott could feel himself shrinking before his instructor.

"Well, there's nothing we can do today," Kromax began walking once more. 

Scott let him pass this time but hollered for the last time, "there's nothing we can do at all?"

With a deep sigh, the big man slowed down to a halt. Planted his hands on his hips then looked up at the sky. Scott blinked, watching the man's braided tresses fall from his shoulders to his back before he turned to face him.

"Go fetch me tools from the infirmary," he groaned before stomping back towards Scott's dragon. It perked up when Kromax began approaching it, swinging its tail from side to side.

Scott couldn't help but grin as he raced for the said tools. As he stepped inside the infirmary, the strong stench of dragon feces and something else blew him away. He retched, wincing as tears stung into his eyes.

"Good morning, Scott!" Flinka greeted him chirpily as she walked across him with a bucket of water on either hand, "what brings you here?"

The dragon, who occupied the stable Flinka was approaching, yawned lazily as she hurried pouring water into its enormous drinking bowls. The moment she emptied her buckets she went nearby the door and began pumping more water out from a metal device implanted on the ground.

"Lord Kromax told me to grab his tools here," Scott began as he briefly scanned the area. There were about five dragons in total occupying the enormous infirmary; its empty nests made Scott wonder what this place would look like if all Dragoneers had their dragons here. He looked up and came to realize that the high ceiling was only because there were more nests to be occupied for how many floors this infirmary could possibly have.

"Oh, it's just at the far end of the infirmary where a lone long table is, the first leather pouch you see would be his tool bag," Flinka said, heaving the lever one last time as she filled her second bucket.

As his boots crunched through the hay, it signaled his presence as he passed by the second dragon he saw. It was bright red and almost as large as a building despite its hunched state, its breath was like a breeze of hot air from a boiling kettle that quickened Scott's pace.