93

"Mason!"

Mason scurried up to get the drinks from the counter, thanking the barista and sitting back down.

"I can't believe you're paying for our drinks," Nettie frowned as she took a sip of hers. "I insisted to pay for my own."

"It's the least I could do after I almost rammed your wheelchair over that curb. Speaking of, how are your legs?" He looked under the table to view her casts briefly.

"I'm making progress. I can stand now, and walk a little. Not very far." Nettie admitted, a faint smile on her face.

"Ooh, I wanna see you try, let's go. Outside. You're gonna attempt to walk, c'mon." Kari tugged Nettie out of her seat, turning to Mason and Tea. "You guys wanna come?"

"I'm good." Tea murmured.

"Umm, I'll stay here too. To give Teagan some company."

Kari hesitated, nervously glancing to Tea, as she pulled Nettie outside. "Throw me your phone, Mase. I'm gonna record this." Mason tossed his phone to Kari, which she caught with her free hand. "Cool, I actually caught it this time." She snickered.

Once they were outside, Mason's smile dropped as his face darkened. Tea clutched her drink harder, uneasy by his new expression.

"Teagan." He spoke in a deeper tone than usual. "What is your issue with me?"

"I don't... have an issue." Tea's voice shook.

Mason scoffed and looked at the ceiling as he rolled his eyes. "You're such a bad liar. We all know there's an issue. Tell me what I did wrong."

"The point is you didn't do anything wrong! You never do! You're friends with everyone and everyone loves you. It took a day for you and Nettie to practically be best friends. I try so hard to please people, but I'm not likable. I'm mean, and I'm impulsive, and I never think." She sighed and crossed her arms, her next words in only a muttered volume. "Nettie's probably going to break up with me and come running to you. Because you're perfect, and I'm just... not."

"So you're jealous? Because you shouldn't be. Listen, Nettie loves you, and it's clear that you love her, too. You don't have to worry about me at all." He flashed a small smile.

"Are you..." Tea trailed off with an embarrassed blush.

"Gay? No. I'm straight as far as I know." Tea opened her mouth. "And no, I'm not dating Kari, or anyone else for that matter. I am a straight single male, who has no feelings for Nettie. I promise. Don't worry. For the record, I think you're a great person. You shouldn't try to be anyone else. If you want to better yourself in any way, Kari, Nettie, and I will all be here to help you if you need it."

"Thanks... Mase." Tea smiled as she looked down at the table.

"You're welcome... Tea." Mason smiled in return.

"Guys, you'll never believe this," Kari burst in, grabbing Nettie's hand as she came in, screaming in the quiet coffee shop. "she went like five feet without falling! It was really impressive. Here's the video." Kari stuffed Mason's phone in his face, and as the video played, Mason and Tea shot a small fond glance at each other.

•••
a/n; this is the 100th part of itywab (not chapter, part)! but here it is, double update to answer your theories about Mason. sorry to disappoint anyone about their guesses! so now you all know why Tea is salty! she reflects a lot of my insecurities, if none of you picked that up (you probably didn't lol).

EDIT (EXTRA NOTE): if Kari had an actress to play her, it would 100% be Aubrey Plaza, who plays April Ludgate in Parks and Recreation. I just thought you all would like to know that.

QOTC: who's your OTP in this story besides #teapot (Nettie and Teagan)? it doesn't have to be canon in the story!
AOTC: honestly probs Marco and Jasper (#marsper)