60

"Nettie?" Teagan walked into the room, inhaling sharply as her eyes fell over a figure covered in sheets and surrounded by machines. "Oh god, no." She whispered as she approached the body.

She glanced over to the heart monitor. A steady beat. That's good.

"You must be Teagan." A young woman with short curly hair in a nurse's outfit approached the two. "I'm Nurse Mia. Nice to meet you." She held a water bottle, in which she put on Nettie's bedside.

"What happened..." Teagan murmured, her eyes still on the injured girl.

"Texting and driving accident. She drove by a red light and got hit." Mia kept a straight face as she glared forward to the two.

"This is... my fault?" Teagan looked at her phone, guilt echoing through her.

"No, it's hers." Mia motioned towards Nettie. "She knew very well she was driving. The only person she can blame is herself. I know you don't want to hear this, but she had it coming from the moment she picked up her phone in the car."

Teagan remained silent. Suddenly, she took in a breath. "... can I stay with her?"

Mia sighed. "Sure. I have to stay too..." Mia looked at Nettie again. "I'm not sure when she'll wake up, I think it'll be soon. She just..."

Teagan glanced up at the nurse. "She just what?"

"Both of her legs are broken, and we're not sure if she has brain damage." Mia cracked a grin. "There's a very small chance she'll have amnesia, though. If she does she might just forget the past two days. Nothing serious, this isn't a teen movie." She chuckled to herself.

"Yeah... but... I just hope..." Teagan hesitated a little. "... i mean... those cheesy movies have happy endings."