36-Game On

To say that Chris Argent was surprised to see us would be a complete overstatement. When Scott rang the doorbell, Argent answered, though I barely recognized him and had to do a double take. Chris Argent is sporting a beard and sunken, sullen eyes. He looks like a man defeated, a former shell of the hunter who wanted werewolves and the like dead.

I had expected him to slam the door in Scott's face, or worse, to shoot him on the spot. However, he only opened the door further and allowed Scott and I to walk in.

I have been in the Argent's house many times, though none felt like it did today. The large home feels empty and barren, and as I follow Scott to the stairs I feel the loss echoing with every step. I glance over at Argent, who is watching us walk up the stairs, that same blank expression on his face.

An overwhelming rush of sorrow sweeps through me. Chris Argent has lost everything. His sister, his wife, and his father. All he has left is Allison. Suddenly, I'm glad that he didn't take part in the fire or Gilbert Device; maybe he's one step closer to being on our side.

Scott helps me up the stairs and follows me to Allison's room. At the last second, he freezes and backs up against the wall.

"Scott, what's wrong?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "I can't do it."

I sigh, feeling sorry for my brother. He knows what's coming when he walks into that room. I motion towards the door with my chin. "Let me go in and talk to her for a minute. Wait here."

He nods but is too distracted to speak. He keeps running his hands over his face, through his hair, and I can see the hurt present in every feature. I turn and hobble towards the door to Allison's room. I knock gently and push open the door.

Allison is sitting on the end of her bed, half of her long, dark hair pulled back in a messy bun. The rest flows over her shoulders where she plays with the frayed ends. Her oversized shirt hangs around her body, making her appear smaller and more fragile. She looks up as I enter and quickly jumps up, her eyes growing wide. She takes in my appearance: my bandaged wrist and crutches.

"Hey." I finally say.

"Hey." She responds, her voice quiet and shaky.

We stand there for a few moments staring at each other until I take a few steps forward and sink onto the edge of her bed. Cautiously, Allison sits next to me.

"How are you?" I ask, playing with the handles on my crutches.

"I've been better. You?"

"Same." I say lamely.

Silence overcomes us once more. I can feel the tension rolling off Allison in waves; I know she wants to speak, but she can't find the words. I sigh loudly and she snaps.

"Emma, I'm so sorry."

I hear her suck in a breath as her voice quivers, and out of the corner of my eye I can see a tear slide down her cheek. I slowly nod. "Why, Allison? Why'd you do it?"

The image of her attacking Isaac and pointing her dagger at Scott's head flashes through my mind and I look away from her.

Allison is quiet for a moment, and then she speaks, her voice soft. "My mother killed herself, right here, in my room."

My eyes widen at her words. I knew her mom committed suicide, but here? In Allison's room? I involuntarily shiver. Allison continues.

"She left the cops a note, but she left a separate one for me." Allison's shaky hands pull a piece of paper from her pocket. The paper is creased and there are tearstain marks on it; I know she must have read it at least a hundred times. "Derek bit her. She killed herself so she wouldn't become..." Allison trails off, the unspoken words left floating in the air. A monster, she wanted to say.