9-Dinner Party Blues

"I'm so sorry about the other day. I'm trying. We'll get through this." Stiles grimaces, sucking in a deep breath and giving Scott a wary look before continuing. "Uh, I know, because I love you. I love you more than-oh, my God. I can't. You and Allison just have to find a better way to communicate." He shudders, and I snicker at his uncomfortableness.

"Come on, you're the only one that we can trust." Scott urges, turning to me and giving me an apologetic look. "No offense, Em. It's just...Allison is still upset with you..."

"I get it. It's cool. This is waaay more entertaining."

Scott frowns, but he turns back to Stiles. The two of them are seated on the stairs as I stand leaning against the wall. "Is she going to the game tonight?" Scott asks eagerly.

After Allison's grandfather came to town, a week ago, it's been near impossible for Allison and Scott to communicate. Stiles has been their go-between, relaying messages and such. Tonight is the first football game of the year, and the two have been trying to plan to meet up there.

"Yes!" Stiles sighs. "Okay, message complete."

I plop down next to Stiles, nudging him until he scoots over a bit. "Now, tell us about your boss."

This morning, Scott woke to a message from Deaton telling him that he had important information for him. Scott dropped me off at school and left to talk to Deaton, missing the first couple of periods.

"He said that Gerard and the Argents showed up late last night with a body. One of their hunters was killed last night."

Stiles and I exchange wide-eyed looks at this new information. "What would they need Deaton for?" I question.

Scott shakes his head. "He wouldn't tell me much. Apparently the guy was tracking one of the Cold Ones. Tracked him as far as the Falls, where he was attacked. They wanted Deaton's expertise on exact cause of death."

Stiles and I exchange another look before slowly nodding. "Okay. Makes sense. What did Deaton say?"

At Stiles' question, Scott shifts nervously, fear settling in his eyes. "His body was completely drained of blood."

Silence follows Scott's statement. I feel fear creeping in, settling in my bones. How can we defeat an enemy that is almost invincible and has the power to drain a person of blood?

Stiles clear his throat. "Okay. Okay, uh, so that might be a problem. Did Deaton tell you what they are?"

Scott shakes his head. "He said he can't get any more involved, it's too risky, but he did give us a clue. He thinks that Allison's family keeps some kind of, uh, records of all the things that they've hunted. Like a book."

Stiles nods. "He probably means a bestiary."

Scott and I snicker. "What?" Scott asks.

"A bestiary." Stiles states, completely serious.

"Uh, I think you mean bestiality." I say, amusement evident in my voice.

"Nope, pretty sure I don't." Stiles says, still one hundred percent serious. "It's like an encyclopedia of mythical creatures."

Scott gapes. "H-how am I the only one who doesn't know anything about this stuff?"

"Okay, you're my best friend, you're a creature of the night, it's kind of like a priority of mine." Stiles turns and points an accusing finger at me. "I'm disappointed in you. This is your brother, do your homework.

My jaw drops. "Hey, excuse me, but I'm sorry I'm not as nerdy as you."

"Guys." Scott says.

Stiles ignores him. "You totally are! You're the one who freaked when I gave you that limited edition Lord of the Rings collectible figure."