1-Wolf Moon

The light of the full moon beats down, illuminating the rusted metal of my old pickup truck. The road winds through the trees of the Beacon Hills Preserve as the truck speeds through it, windows down and the fresh night air rushing through our hair. Once more I'm filled with love for my small town.

The engine sputters and my smile drops.

"No, no, no." I mutter, hitting the steering wheel.

"You know, hitting it won't solve the problem." Lydia Martin snips from her spot in the passenger seat. "It is the problem."

"Thank you, so much, for your cynicism." I roll my eyes and hit the steering wheel once more as the truck slows to a halt in the middle of the road. "No, no, no, c'mon Rusty. Don't fail me now."

"I think anything named Rusty is just prone for failure."

"Lydia! You're not helping." I roll my eyes and flop back in my seat.

"This wouldn't be happening if you had just let me drive." She coos, smirking.

I roll my head to look at her. "Uh, absolutely not. You're still on the medicine. Doctor says you're not allowed to drive; it impairs your vision. And I quite like living."

Lydia pouts. "I haven't driven in two months. I miss my car."

"Well, your precious little bug is collecting dust in your garage." I turn the car off, sliding the keys out of the ignition.

Lydia huffs and flops back in her seat, crossing her arms and pursing her lips.

"Ugh!" I lean forward and smack the dashboard. The truck rattles, and I widen my eyes. "Oops." I mumble.

"Think you made it worse?" Lydia sasses, giving me a pointed look.

"Remind me again why we're friends?" I stick the keys back in the ignition, twisting them and hearing the truck rumble back to life. A gleeful smile takes over my face, but quickly falls when the engine sputters and dies.

"Hmm, let me think about that." Lydia taps her chin. "Being attacked by some brutal animal and left for dead bonds people, don't you think?" She gives me a sharp look out of the corner of her eye.

Guilt immediately crashes down on me at her words. After Lydia was found wandering through the woods naked after fleeing the hospital, we decided it was best to keep her in the dark about the supernatural in Beacon Hills, at least until we could figure out what she is.

I've kept an eye on her all summer, keeping tabs and making sure she's okay. For two months, the weirdest she got was waking up and giving blood-curdling screams throughout the night, and that only happened twice.

In fact, this whole summer, everything has been eerily quiet. Not a word or sign from new Alpha Derek Hale, nothing life-threatening from Lydia. Everything seems...peaceful.

It's unnerving.

It feels like the whole of Beacon Hills has been holding their breath, waiting for it all to come crashing down. However, there have been three dead bodies found, but the causes of death were ruled to be drugs.

A little part of me in the back of my head whispers that it was something else though, something worse: that it was what Derek was referring to.

At the end of the school year party a couple months ago, one of my best friends, Elena Gilbert, was found lying on the bank of the river at Wickory bridge. Her parents' car flew off in the bridge in an unexplained freak accident, and somehow she ended up out of the river.

Derek had mysteriously appeared, saying nothing but two little words: "they're here." He left without an explanation, and neither I or my brother Scott has heard from him all summer. For months we have been trying to figure out who "they" could be, but to no avail.