32-Miss Mystic Falls

I wake Saturday morning to burning eyes and a pounding headache. I groan as I roll out of bed, my vision swimming before my eyes. I hardly slept last night, too consumed by the events that took place at the Lockwood mansion. Specifically, Peter Hale's resurrection.

Peter disappeared last night after delivering his little speech, and Scott immediately went to Tyler, Erica, and Boyd to try to find out what they know. Apparently, Peter showed up at the subway station looking for Derek late Saturday night, which falls in line with the time Lydia disappeared from the party.

We left the Founder's Day opening dinner early, headed to the subway station to get some information from Derek, but he wasn't there. In fact, it looked as though nobody had been there in days. After talking to Isaac, he confessed that he wasn't sure where Derek went, and now, hours later, I don't know what to think.

I grab my phone from my nightstand and pull myself to a standing position. Other than a few texts from Stiles, I have no other messages. A crash suddenly comes from the bathroom, and I know Scott is awake. "Have you heard anything?" I call over my shoulder.

The reply comes a few seconds later. "Nope. You?"

"Nada." I sigh, tossing my phone on my bed in defeat. I turn towards my closet to get dressed for the day.

My beautiful pageant dress is hanging from the top of my closet door. I'm not one for frilly dresses and pageants, but this time, I will definitely make an exception. There's something exciting about participating in the Founder's Day events, despite not being a member of a founding family.

After Scott gets out of the bathroom, I quickly take over. The warm shower fully wakes me up, and after blow drying my hair I leave the bathroom feeling like a new person. I quickly toss on some warm sweats and a sweatshirt to match, sliding on a pair of boots. I can hear the rain pounding on my window, and I know that in a matter of hours it will turn to snow when the temperature drops. Since I'm putting on the dress later anyways, warm clothes it is.

My phone buzzes and I check it to see a text from Elena, telling me she's waiting outside. I quickly grab my dress and a pair of heels and jog down the stairs. I yell a fleeting goodbye to my mom and Scott until I see them at the event later.

A gray suburban is sitting out in the driveway, and I can make out two shapes inside. Keeping my head down, glad that my dress is covered in a plastic protective sleeve, I bolt through the rain and into the car. Surprised to see that Elena is sitting in the backseat, I look up to see who the two people in the front are. My jaw drops.

Alaric Saltzman gives me an uncomfortable smile from his spot in the driver's seat. I give Elena a look from the corner of my eye. Elena's Aunt Jenna, sitting in the passenger seat in front of me, spins around.

"Hey Emma. I hope you don't mind the change of plans. I just figured it was easier to drive one car, and Rick volunteered."

"No, no problem at all." I force a smile and settle back in my seat. I turn to Elena and mouth "Rick?" Just how close are Aunt Jenna and Alaric? Elena only shrugs.

Alaric backs out of my driveway and onto the road. As time passes, the rain starts to thin a little, and by time we reach the Founder's Hall, it has turned to small snow flurries.

"The only thing ruining the first snow of the year is John's presence in our lives." Jenna huffs.

I can see the tension in Alaric's shoulders at her words. I see him meet Elena's eyes through the rearview mirror, and they exchange a look.

"Who's John?" I whisper to Elena.

"My uncle."

"John is Elena's father's brother." Jenna says. "Pompous jerk who thinks he can just stroll into town the weekend of Founder's Day and take authority over everything."