31-I Hear Tell of a Resurrection, and Not The Holy Kind

The Lockwood mansion was built in a large clearing in the endless Beacon Hills Forest, along one of the many country roads that wound through the town. A line of cars trailed down the road, turning into the long paved drive. Mom's old Corolla groaned every few feet as we waited in line. Slowly but surely we approached the house, driving around the roundabout in search of a place to park. Scott sat next to me, giving me a nervous glance every few minutes.

I told him everything that went down at the party, then with Stiles and I, and finally to our resolution. In turn, he promised not to kill Isaac, and was glad everything worked out okay. Neither of us have heard from Allison since the weekend, and dimly I wonder if she will be at the dinner. After all, the Argents are a founding family.

I wonder if Gerard will come. Alaric promised to keep our secret, and Allison's grandfather still doesn't know that Scott is the werewolf he's been looking for, nor that Damon is the vampire he's been looking for. I call that a slight win in our books.

Mom finally finds a place to park at the end of a long row of cars. The Corolla's tires squelch in the damp grass and Mom cuts the engine, rendering the car silent. She climbs out first, adjusting her long dress underneath her coat.

"Looking like a supermodel, as always." I remark as I climb out. My short pumps dig into the ground and I quickly walk over to the paved drive. My coat barely keeps out the sting of the cold November air; it's going to snow any day now. I keep tugging on the ends of my dress, wishing it was longer against my bare skin. When I breathe out, I see fog.

"Thank you. You look beautiful." Mom says, quickly joining me. She takes my arm in hers and hooks our elbows. Scott is on her right, arm hooked as well. Mom pats our arms lovingly and gives us a squeeze. Then we head for the house.

As we approach the mansion, I admire the large stone fountain that serves as the roundabout in the drive. Due to the freezing temperatures, the Lockwood's don't have the water running, but it looks beautiful all the same. I turn my attention to the house. Large stone pillars make up the front porch, with dazzling white lights hung across them to illuminate the overhang. A set of large, concrete steps reach up to the door.

Mayor Lockwood is standing at the top left of the stairs, greeting the guests as they come in. Mrs. Lockwood is standing to his right, Tyler one step beneath her. His eyes land on us as we approach, and I immediately see the change in his face.

Ever since Tyler became a werewolf, he has become less of douche. It's been an unusual change, a little unexpected, but good all the same. I've hardly said more than five words to him since Derek bit him, though, and I know that we will never be 100% on the same team. Tyler only cares about his Alpha, and then again that's only second to himself.

However, once he sees us, he quickly whispers something to his mother, then jogs down the stairs. He nods at my mom. "Mrs. McCall."

Mom looks surprised that he's talking to us, after all, she knows his status as popular in school. She gives him a warm smile and let's go of mine and Scott's arm. "I'll meet you two inside." Then she heads up the stairs.

Scott nods his head brusquely at Tyler, looking a little wary. Tyler looks around us to make sure no one is listening, and leans in. "I shouldn't be telling you this, but something has happened."

Immediately Scott is on alert. "What? What happened?"

Tyler swallows nervously, glancing over his shoulder. "It's because of what Lydia did the other day."

My senses are now on high alert. "You know what happened to Lydia?"

Tyler snorts. "Nothing happened to her. She did it all herself." Yeah, still a bit of a dick.