5-I Get A History Lesson From A Dead Guy

Darkness engulfs me.

I blink several times until my eyes start to adjust to the darkness. I turn in a circle, trying to make out where I am, and am surprised to find myself standing at the Mystic Falls.

"Well hello, Emma."

I spin, staggering a little but quickly regaining my balance.

"Peter." I whisper when I see his unburned face. He steps out of the shadows and into the dimly lit clearing, the light of the moon shining down on him. He smiles coyly, and I warily take a step back.

"It's so good to see you. I don't get many visitors."

"What do you want?" I say shortly, wanting to end this as quickly as possible.

"Ah, I do suppose I've been a little unclear. It is very difficult for me to reach out to you, considering you don't have the proper abilities."

"What do you mean?" I ask, feeling my heart start to beat faster.

Peter continues like I didn't speak. "It took me two months to get my strength back up enough to speak to you. And yet I am so fortunate as to have you here right now."

"What do you want?" I repeat, letting a bit of my frustration into my voice.

Peter pauses, looking me up and down, and I shift uncomfortably under his gaze. "My dear miss Emma." He takes a step towards me, hands in his pockets, and I take another step back. "There are some things that aren't for you to know. Not yet."

"Then leave me alone." I spit.

Peter lets out a breath. "I'm afraid I can't do that either. You are a very essential part of my plan."

"What plan?" I cross my arms and give him a defiant look.

Peter lets his sinister smile grow wider and takes another step forward. "Plan C." Peter starts to circle me. "You see, for someone like myself, you have to be prepared for anything. A master plan, a backup plan, and a backup-backup plan."

"And I'm your backup-backup plan?"

Peter nods.

"So what was Plan A? And Plan B?"

"Plan A was staying alive." He shrugs. "Plan B is in the works."

"Lydia. She's your Plan B." I say, realization sinking in. "You know what she is." I whisper in disbelief, but when I look at Peter I can see that it's true.

"She's perhaps the most important thing in making this work."

"Leave Lydia alone." I spit, taking a threatening step forward, but suddenly Peter is gone. I blink in shock, reeling backwards, when he speaks from behind me.

"I think you and I both know that I cannot do that."

I spin around. "Please, whatever you want, I'll do it. Just leave Lydia alone."

Peter sighs. "I admire your undying loyalty to your friends. It's so...noble."

"Peter. This isn't a game." I silently curse myself when my voice comes out shaky.

"Of course it is. And you're all my players."

Then he disappears again, and I spin around, expecting to see him behind me again, but he's not there. I spin in a circle, staring out through the trees, narrowing my eyes and trying to see through the darkness.

"Come with me."

I jump back when Peter emerges from the darkness. Clutching my hand to my chest, I slowly step forward. "Where?"