7-What's A Party Without A Little Death?

"This could take a while." Lydia muses as she pulls another dress out of the bag and lays it gently on her bed.

"How many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?" Allison says, amusement and awe in her voice.

Lydia looks up at Allison. "It's my birthday party. I'm thinking host dress, evening dress, then mm, after-hours casual." Lydia adopts her instructive voice as she motions to the dresses lying on her bed.

Allison clears her throat. "I, uh, noticed that you didn't send out any invites."

I wince at her words from my spot in Lydia's beanbag.

"It's the first and biggest party of the year, Allison." Lydia says sharply. She hesitates before adding, "Everyone knows."

I flip through the Vogue magazine in my hands as Allison continues pressing Lydia's buttons.

"I was wondering if maybe this year things, you know, might be different."

Lydia pauses, dropping the dress she had in her hands. "Why would anything be different?" Her voice adopts a dangerous tone, and if I was speaking to Allison, I would tell her to back off.

Allison shrugs. "Just 'cause things have been off all summer. Things...and people." At that, Allison gives Lydia a knowing look.

Lydia picks up another dress and holds it up to her. "Hmm. Like who?"

"Like, uh, you. And...Emma." Allison says my name with difficulty, shooting me a quick glance at she speaks.

Lydia groans. "Ugh, please. This better not be about the two of you and your fight."

"Uh, we're not fighting." Allison laughs awkwardly.

"Ha." I say from my spot, flipping the page of the magazine. Allison clenches her jaw at the crinkle of paper.

"Look, I don't know what's going on, but you better get over it. At least for tonight. It's my birthday and I won't have anyone spoiling that." Lydia gives the two of us a pointed look.

Allison quickly clears her throat and changes the subject. "Is Jackson coming tonight?"

Lydia pauses, giving Allison a quick look. "Everyone's coming." She picks up a blue dress and holds it up. "This one's American rag. Mm, I love it. For me, not you." She sets it down and picks up a floral print dress. "This one's material girl. It's for you."

Allison gushes over the dress, taking it from Lydia and holding it up to her body. "Thank you."

Lydia waves it off. "Can't have my best friends dressed in tacky sweaters at my party." Lydia gives me a pointed look and I frown.

"What do you have against my sweaters?"

Lydia rolls her eyes. "No time to explain. Here, this one's for you." She smiles coyly, holding up a sheer black dress.

I give it a look of disgust. "I am not wearing that."

Lydia's smile falters. "It's my birthday."

"I don't care if it's your wedding day. I'm not wearing that."

Allison snickers, and I whip my head up to look at her. Our eyes meet, for a split second it's like old times, but then she covers it with a cough and looks away. I grab the dress out of Lydia's hands and flop back down on the beanbag.

"Perfect."

"Happy Birthday." Allison smiles sweetly at the strawberry blonde haired girl.

"Oh, thank you. I actually appreciate that." Lydia coos. "Oh! I've got to take Prada out. Give me five." She shoots me a look on her way out of the room and nods her head towards Allison.