Chapter 29

The anthem booms in my ears, and then I hear Chris Hamilton greeting the audience. The crowd breaks in into applause as the prep teams are presented. I could imagine Olive, Shelia, and Clair jumping around and clapping their hands, and screaming in their annoying squeaky voice. Then Mollie is introduced. I wonder how she’s dealing with this. She hasn’t been introduced like this since Joan one fifteen years ago. Patricia and Gorge receive loud cheers as they walk up and take bows. Joan’s appearance receives loud clapping, stomping, and cheering as well. You have to give her credit, she is one of the reasons District 12 won this year. Why both tributes won this year. It usually never happens.

          The lights shine in my face once again, blinding me, and I’m taken to the front of the stage. The audience goes bizarre and crazy, with cheering, clapping, stomping, and even rose throwing. Then I see Danny just a few yards away from me. He looks so clean and refreshed. He’s wearing a black jacket and a white shirt under, with black pants. He looks new, and I could hardly recognize him. But his deep brown eyes and joyful smile are the same no matter where we are. I look at him smiling, and slowly walk towards him. I take about three steps, and start running to him, and fling myself into his arms. He walks back a bit, startled, and almost loses balance. I look up at him and he smiles and I smile back. The audience goes insane as he kisses me. I’m still just worrying about what Joan said, but I do enjoy this. I’m not sure if Danny is worrying about the stuff Joan said, but he is the kind of person who forgets all troubles when I’m with him. He always does. Oh, do we even know how much trouble we’re in? After like five minutes of this, I want to stop and sit down, but Danny doesn’t seem to notice when I try to remove his arms from my waist. He just clings on to me, and I’m unable to escape his grip. Chris Hamilton then walks up to us and taps Danny on his shoulder to continue the show.

          Danny looks up at Chris, a bit surprised, but he’s still clinging on to me. Joan then shows us to the Victor’s chair. Usually, the victor’s chair is a single, ornate chair from which the winning tribute watches a three hour film of the Games, which are shortened and many unnecessary parts are cut out, but since there are two victors this year, the Gamemakers have provided a plush red velvet couch. We sit down next to each other and I put my feet up and lay my head on Danny’s shoulder. Danny puts his arm around me and I move in closer.

          Chris Hamilton makes some more jokes, and then it’s time for the show. I don’t really get Chris’s jokes. They’re pretty lame and not funny. But, it gets the Capitol people going. The show is required viewing of all Panem. The lights dim and the seal appears on the screen, I then realize that I’m totally unprepared for this. I don’t want to have to relive the Games, even though I’m not physically there this time. I still don’t want to watch the other twenty two tributes die. I saw a few of them die the first time around; I don’t want to do it again. This is painful, it’s like I’m going to relive hell. My heart starts pounding as it begins and I have the impulse to run. I grip onto Danny’s left hand as his right arm wraps around my neck and shoulders. How have the other tributes always been able to do this on their own? Then again, most of the victors were Careers and enjoyed killing. During the highlights, they periodically show the winner’s reaction to winning the Games in a box at the corner of the screen. My reaction is jumping on Danny as he spins me. It will be one memory I’ll keep forever, not sure to cherish it, or fear it. Previous years, the victors may jump around, pound their fists on their chest, or even cry tears of joy. One year, the girl from 7 who won, fell on the floor and burst into tears knowing she would regret her life after killing and watching so many people die. The year Jake died, the girl from 5 didn’t have a readable expression on her face. The boy from her District just surprisingly kissed her and then killed himself, letting her win. What keeps me sitting here is Danny, the only person I really want at the moment. The only person I actually really need, the only person who is by my side always.