Chapter 12

“I am in love with Katharine Star.” Danny says. I am in love with Katharine Star. The words ring in my head, and keep on replaying, over and over again. It is trapped inside of my head and will not escape. I am now more confused than I have ever been. I just stare at him, probably expressionless, and I believe my mouth begins to drop open.

          What is this? Danny, saying he is in love...with me? How could this be? Is he faking to get the crowd going? Or is he telling the truth? If he’s telling the truth then it must be harder for him…to not only have to kill his best friend…but to kill the one person he loves. But he has to be faking it. He can’t love me; it’s just a joke, an act to get sponsors. Many past tributes have tried the love act, it never worked out. So how can he expect people to believe it this time? Plus, I am not the type of girl to be loved. I am impossible to be around, and plus, I don’t want to love anyone, so nothing will work out. It won’t even work out if we haven’t been chosen for the Games.

          I then break out of my thoughts when I notice that I’m on the screen. It takes me like about five seconds to notice my blushing is very noticeable, because my cheeks are even rosier, and my mouth partly open. I’m just staring, at myself, in this confused station, and it doesn’t look like anything’s on my mind, yet there is. Something that is very important to me at the moment. I then blink and shake my head, forming my hand into a fist. The cameras then turn away from me and go back to Chris and Danny to continue his damn interview.

          “That is not good then.” Chris says in sympathy, shaking his head with closed eyes. The crowed ‘awes’ in sympathy as well, and some are crying, which ridicules, because it’s pretty obvious he’s faking. Danny and I are just friends. We are just friends.

          Danny leans in his chair and sighs. “Nope, it’s bad news. And this may sound crazy, but I want her to win the Games instead of me.”

          I hear more of the sympathy from the stupid crowd. Can’t they just get the fact that he is faking? For some reason, he saying that makes me furious. All of this going on makes me angry, and confused. I’m pissed and I feel as if I want to get out of my seat and yell at Danny. Why does he want me to win so badly? Dose he even want to see his family again? He can’t have stupid sympathy for me! We are fighting for are damn lives starting tomorrow, and we are both going to be dead! He cannot save me, he won’t be able to. If anything, I might be the one who will save him, which I won’t do if I want to win.

          “That does sound crazy. But don’t you want to be able to return home to your family?” Chris asks leaning in.

          “Of course,” Danny replies. “But, Katharine is more important, well, to me she is. She always has been.”

          “Don’t you just want to pull Katharine back up here to see what she has to say?” Chris asks the crowd. The crowd cheers. “But, sadly rules are rules.” Chris says, “And Katharine’s time is up.” Good, I don’t want to beat the crap out of Danny right now. He’s making everything harder for me, and him. Chris turns back to Danny and continues, “I have a few more questions about this, but I’m wondering if you want to change the subject.”

          Danny shrugs. “Ask away. I don’t mind honestly. I like to talk about Katharine.”

          “So, do you have any idea if Katharine likes you back?” Chris asks.

          Danny shakes his head. “I know she doesn’t like me back. She only thinks of me as a friend. Which I get, she’s never been interested in me and I don’t think she believes in true love. She only knows the kind of love her sister gives her, and the kind of caring I give her.