Chapter 11

“Keep your eyes closed.” Patricia says as she puts on my dress for the interviews. I stand on a small, wooded brown stool with my arms stretched to the side as she fixes up the dress over my body. My prep team did a pretty good job. They put red and gold glitter over my body, and fixed up my hair. It’s all wavy with a small braid on the right side of my head. They painted my nails piercing blood red, with dashes of light pink and put make up all over my face. Blush on my cheeks, mascara on my eye lashes, and black eye liner, and light purple eye shadow. I look like someone who’s not me! I suddenly feel Patricia’s hands off my waist where she was tightening the dress.

          “Can I open my eyes now?” I ask putting my arms down, which feel exhausted from being held up for about two hours or so.

          “Yes.” Patricia says.

          I step off the stool and open my eyes, finding myself looking in a big mirror. I look at my dress, and it’s beautiful! It’s blazing red, with fire markings all over the bottom and some at the short sleeves. I also have a black glove with an opening for my fingers on my left hand, the hand I’m instructed to put on my hip. My body shimmers in the light because of the glitter that was plastered all over my body when the prep team finished waxing my legs and putting body polish all over. My brown eyes pop out and my lips are bright red. Around the side of my eyes have dashes of gold, and a little black. I totally look like someone who is not me. This is even better than the dress for the parade. I am stunned on how I look, and a little scared, because what I am wearing, does not say ‘me’. I am a girl who doesn’t enjoy gloss and jewelry and girl stuff. But I tell myself to relax and that I look beautiful. I then turn to Patricia and smile. “Thank you.” I tell her. “This is amazing. It’s the best dress I’ve ever seen or been in!” She smiles and I give her a hug.

          I soon notice that I not wearing the necklace Danny gave me. I walk over to the desk by my bed and pick it up. “Is it ok if I wear this?” I ask looking down at it.

          “Sure.” Patricia says, “Why not? You do look lovely in it. She then helps me put the necklace on. “Twirl for me.” Patricia says spinning her arm above my head.

          I look at her, and begin to twirl. The bottom part of the dress seems to float as I spin. I then stop when I notice the shoes. “My hunting shoes…” I look up at Patricia. “Why am I wearing these? I thought I was supposed to be wearing fancy shoes, like some dumb pair of high heels of something.”

          Patricia smiles, “Well, they remind you of home, don’t they?” I nod and she continues, “I think people should know that you’re a hunter, and are proud of where you come from. Plus, Mollie said that you nearly died from wearing the high heels you tried on.”

          I smile and giggle a bit. “So, when is it time to go?”

          “Now,” Patricia says. “Good luck. You’ll be amazing out there. Now, let’s go. We’ll meet the others at the elevator.”

          I follow her out the door and we meet up with everyone else at the elevator. Danny had on a black tuxedo, and his shirt is white. His tie is a fire flame color like my dress. He smiles at me and blushes, so I smile back. I grab his hand and we all step into the elevator. Joan and Mollie are both telling me how wonderful I look, the same with Danny.

          As the elevator opens, the other tributes are being lined up to take the stage, and Joan sends us to the back of the line. We all sit in a big arc throughout the interviews. I’m instructed to be second to last because for the interviews, the girl goes first, then the boy. I sit down and wait for Chris Hamilton to walk up on stage. He soon dose. He looks pretty wacky this year. His hair is dyed dark blue with strains of red, and has a matching outfit.