Chapter 19

“Hey Katharine, get up. Your turn for watch,” Lily says shoving me awake.

          I open up my and its dark. I’m wrapped in Danny’s arms as he’s in a deep sleep. Damn, even in a deep sleep, his grip is tight and firm and I can’t even get out of it. Lily puts the night vision glasses on me and I begin to see clearly now. I look at Danny’s hands and release them and escape his grip and I sit up, beginning to climb out of the sleeping bag.

          “Oh no, it’s okay. You can stay in the sleeping bag. I’ll sleep on a branch.” Lily says pushing me back into the sleeping bag.

          I can see the coldness in her eyes, and know she’s freezing. “No,” I say. “It’s freezing, and you need to stay warm. You’ll catch a cold if you stay out here.”

          “Are you sure? Because I figured that you’d like to be with Danny.” Lily says and looks at him. “Plus, I really don’t mind.”

          “I’m sure.” I say as I get out of the sleeping bag and let Lily in. I still have my bow in my hand, and my arrows hocked on to a tree branch.

          I tend to drift off during my watch several times as my eyes begin to refuse staying open, because the next thing I know, the night vision glasses are off, and I’m face down on the branch I’m sitting on, or that’s what I think it is. I look up to find Danny playing with my hair and holding the glasses, and I’m leaning on his good leg.

          “You know, what happened to that cute braid you used to do?” He asks when I look right up at him.

          I shrug. “Well, I don’t have it because I don’t have a band to tie my hair.” I say. “Plus, you know I prefer my hair down.”

          “Well, I apparently have one. I found it in your bag.” He says and reaches into his pocket. “Here, let me do it for you.” I nod and he puts my hair in a braid. He grips my hair and separates it into three, and I could feel him turning them, forming the braid. “There, all done.” He says releasing the tight grip.

          I smile and look at him. “Thanks.” I say and squeeze his hand. “When did you get up?” I ask.

          “About two hours ago. I woke up and found you asleep on the branch, and I figured you were on watch because Lily was asleep next to me. I got up and decided to take watch while I watch you sleep.” He says and continues, “You know, you look very pretty asleep. And you’re less annoying and aggressive.” He giggles on the last part.

          I roll my eyes in annoyance. “Hey,” I say and slap him softly on the arm.

          “Finally, a soft slap,” He says joking around. “I also forgot to mention you’re less violent.” He says and cracks up.

          I am now getting pretty annoyed and slap him hard on the face this time. “Just shut up.” I say coldly.

          “Hey, I’m sorry. But you know it’s true.” Danny says. “Anyway, you can get back at me.”

          “Well, when you’re asleep, you’re less…um…I don’t know.” I say unable to think of anything negative about him because I’m still tired and can’t think straight.

          “Ah, can’t think of anything negative about me.” He puts his arm around me and I move in closer. “Just admit it, I’m perfect.”

          “No one’s perfect,” I say. “But, I guess you’re right. I can’t think of anything negative about you. You’re sweet, kind, and great at talking. No one gets mad at you, and you know how to make a girl feel special. So in some ways, you are perfect, unlike me.”