Chapter 9

The testing room is big. There’s a lineup of dummies in the back, and on the side walls were the deadliest weapons I could ever think of. I run over and grab two swards. I then look up to my left over at the Gamemakers, who seem to be paying attention and I wink at them. Carter Vince, the head Gamemaker nods at me and winks back. I never really had practice with the sward move I’ve decided to do, but I’ve seen it enough times when my father would show me.

          With one sward in each hand, I start to spin them at my side, and walk over to a practice dummy. Then, I stop spinning the deadly weapons and cross over the swards, and quickly rip apart the dummy. One sward takes off the head, and the other stabs it in the stomach, soon ripping out the stuffing inside, as if this were a real person. Once I’m done, I place them down, on top of all the scattered bits of the practice dummy. I look over at the Gamemakers and they are all nodding and smiling.

          After I put the swards back, I grab the bow and arrows. I walk over to five targets and pull up and arrow and focus. I breathe in and out, calming myself and shoot. It lands in the center of the red dot in the middle of the target. I smile, and the same happens with the other four targets.

          When I’m done with the arrows, I put the bow back where I found it, and grab the arrows, putting them back to. Then I grab five knives and throw them towards the targets. My aim is perfect, like always and each knife lands in the center. I turn around and look at the Gamemakers, they’re still smiling and nodding, and some are giving me thumbs-up. And of course, whispering on about how I did. I retrieve the knives and put them back on the shelf with the other weapons.

          One of the Gamemakers soon tells me to leave, and I walk out the door with the big ‘exit’ sign. As I walk out, I see Danny sitting on a chair, waiting. I guess he refused to leave or something because he was the only one there. I see an Avox standing next to him, as if he’s watching him. I look at Danny and smile, putting my hand up.

          “So, how did it go? Did they say anything to you?” Danny asks standing up and walks towards me smiling back.

          “It was fine.” I reply. “When I finished they were whispering and giving me thumbs-up and were smiling and nodding at me.”

          Danny smiles, “You must have done really well. I bet you’ll get the biggest score.” He says and puts his arm over my shoulder.

          I smile. “Well, like I said. I’m a born survivor. You can’t get rid of me. So you’re just going to have to deal with it. But it’s most likely I won’t get the biggest score, I’m one of the youngest tributes here.” I say and continue with, “so what about you, how did you do?”

          Danny looks at me and shrugs. “Eh…not that good, I bet I did terrible. I bet they gave me a two because I threw a knife and it landed in the knee. When I was done, they just told me to leave. I don’t recall them talking about me at all.” He then looks up and sighs.

          “Don’t be so hard on yourself.” I tell him. “I bet you were great. Remember, I helped you train. You know you’re good with weapons, don’t deny it.”

          “Yeah, you do have a point. I did do pretty well with the bow. Although no one is better than you, you’re the best.” He smiles, making me blush a bit.

          “Aw, thanks.” I begin. “Now, let’s go up to our floor.” I push open the elevator and the doors open. I then press the button with the number twelve and we’re taken to the floor in an instant. Once we step out of the elevator doors, I find Joan waiting for us.