Chapter 28

I won…Danny won…we won. We are the victors of the 195th annual Hunger Games. But, what would have changed the Gamemakers mind? Of course it was the citizens. What now?

          The next thing I know I’m sprinting up the hill to make sure Danny is okay. No cannon blasted, so he has to be alive. I feel free and alive, knowing I am a victor, and I can be with Danny. I make it to the top, panting, and I see Danny looking over at me.

          “Katharine,” He calls out, “we did it! We won!” Danny says running up to me.

          I look at him, a huge smile across my face. Tears roll down my cheek. Tears of joy…something I never remembered having. I run up to him as well. My arms are spread out wide, and so are his. Without thinking, I jump on him, my arms around his neck and my legs are around his waist. It’s a good thing he’s strong. He catches me and spins around as we both laugh and scream happily.

          “We did it! We actually did it!” I yell happily. Tears of joy are streaming down my face as I kiss him.

          He smiles at me, shedding tears of joy as well. He then grins and gives me a quick kiss back.

          “No more goodbye kiss?” I ask sweetly.

          “No more goodbye kiss.” Danny says.

          “We are going home.” I say, feeling warm and happy inside. “We’re actually going home.”

          “I know. It’s amazing. Both of us will make it home.” He replies, still smiling.

          The hovercraft soon appears and two ladders drop, but there is no way I’m letting go of Danny, or he’s going to put me down. He seems to enjoy carrying me. Danny grabs onto a ladder and the electric current freezes us in place. The minute we are in the hovercraft and the door closes behind us, the current stops, and Danny finally has to put me down.

          “What a surprising outcome these Games have been!” a familiar voice says behind us.

          I turn around and see Mollie, who looks as wacky as usual, and seems really proud of the both of us.

          “Hey Mollie,” Danny says. “It’s great to see you, it really is.”

          “Oh my, it’s amazing to hear those words again!” She says partly to herself. “It’s great to see you too! Oh, you both are so cute together!” She says clasping her hands together. “You two really are, you’re so adorable!”

          I blush and bury my face in Danny’s jacket to hide it.

          Mollie just laughs and so dose Danny, so I begin to giggle.

          “Anyway, hate to break you two up, but you both have to be sent to different rooms so the doctors can fix you up and remove the cuts, scratches and gashes, and take out the trackers. Okay?” Mollie says.

          I nod and Mollie escorts me to an empty room with a small bed and table in it.

          “Okay, so you won’t feel pain, I’ll have to give you this shot.” She says holding a sharp needle.

          Before I could reply, the needle is jabbed into my arm and everything turns black, once more.

          I wake up, afraid to move. I feel that I’m unable too. The entire ceiling glows with a soft yellow light allowing me to see that I’m still in the room I passed out in, and I’m on the bed. The air smells bad, something sharp and antiseptic. My right arm has several tubes attached to it, and the tubes are extended to the wall behind me. It takes me a while to realize that I’m naked, but the bed covers against my skin make it hard to notice. There is a red silky robe on the wall next to me. I lift my left hand and look at it. It’s been cleaned. My nails are filed in perfect ovals, and the scars and cuts on it have disappeared. I start to feel my skin, especially where I was cut, nothing. My skin is new. No cuts, no traces of blood, no scars, nothing. Not even the scars that I received while hunting in the woods years ago. I try to sit up to reach for the robe and put it on, but I can’t. Something pushes me back down. Some sort of wide restraining band around my waist only allows me to sit up for a few inches, which really annoys me.