Chapter 4

As I walk out of the train and into the train station with Joan and Danny, I notice that there were not only cameras, but televisions. I look at a television and it is playing the reaping from yesterday. I can’t believe the reaping was just yesterday, as it seems like it was so long ago. At the moment, everything seems fake, and not real. It feels like a bad, terrible nightmare. I still hope that it is, and I’ll wake up soon, but I know it isn’t. This is a nightmare come to life.

          I’m broken out of my thoughts when Danny tugs my arm. Damn, I zone out too easily and quickly. I sit down next to him and watch the reaping of the other districts. The male tribute of District 1 and female of District 2 both volunteered, like they do about every year, the main Career tributes, which are normally Districts 1 through 4. As it gets to district 12, I see what the others saw; I see what I looked like when I was chosen. I was frozen solid, not moving, and just standing there, looking like I’m staring at nothing.

          I can’t help it but giggle a bit. Seeing me, frozen like a statue. What really breaks me is how Kati ran up to me crying, her brown hair against her face, this all makes me feel even more upset. Soon enough, I notice that some of the other District tributes were looking at me. I look right back at them, with glaring death eyes. Probably think I’m weak. But I’ll show them. I’m deadly. I then turn back to the television, ignoring everyone else. I then put my head on Danny’s shoulder.

          Once it gets to the part where Danny was chosen and I hug him, more tributes were looking at me, including Danny. What makes me sick and annoyed is that this tall boy with ashy blond hair, probably sixteen or so, from District 4 is making kissy faces at us, so I grab a small rock and throw it at him, hitting his left knee.

          “Hey!” The boy shrikes and winces in pain.

          I just then turn away and ignore him.

          After a short while of waiting around doing nothing, Mollie soon takes me, Joan and Danny into a car and drives us to the training center. Once we get there, we all take the elevator up to the twelfth floor. The elevator is large, and has dark red walls and gold bars surrounding it. The floor is like a gold tile and I can see my reflection. Man, I look half dead and warn out.

          “Welcome to floor twelve.” Mollie says as we step out of the elevator. “Now, Katharine, your room is over there on the left. Danny, you room is over there on the right. So, go to your rooms and wait for your stylist. They will prepare you for the parade.”

          I leave without hesitating, and go to my room. It is golden, and the sheets and cousins were a dark shade of pink and purple. The walls are also gold, and the floor is a white tile. The dressers are dark brown, and were carved by a tree. I rub against it with my right hand, feeling the carved designs. I study the designs, as they are wavy lines. The knobs of the drowse are gold with similar designs, but are more like stars. I’m then startled when someone knocks on my door.

          “Come in.” I say walking over to my bed.

          Soon enough, a group of three girls come in. They must be the prep team to fix me up for before I meet my stylist.

          “Hi.” I say, and sit down on my bed, waiting for them to do their magic.

          “Lie down.” A tall woman spoke in such a squeaky voice. Her hair is died light blue, with strips of light purple. She has golden tattoos on her hands are forehead.

          I lay down on my bed, as they started fixing me up. First thing they do is take off my clothes, leaving me in just my under clothes. I feel cold and uneasy. At least the crew is a group of girls, so I had nothing I can really hide. Their names are Olive, Shelia, and Clair. They start by washing me up with soap and shampoo, cleaning me very well. The hard scrubbing they did makes me feel sore, but that only lasts for about twenty seconds. The next thing they do is wax my leg hair and pluck my eye brows. My legs and arms feel very smooth, but my legs feel pretty sore from all the yanking. I then grab a robe and put it on, waiting for my stylist.

          A few minutes later, a woman who looks totally normal, comes into my room. Her hair is short and blond, and she had no tattoos or anything wacky.

          “Hello.” She speaks, in a normal, non squeaky Capitol like voice, “I am Patricia, and I’ll be your stylist.” She walks up to me, and looks at my body, after telling me to take the robe. When she is done, I put back on my robe, and we have a little chat about the parade.

          “So, District 12 has to do with coal, correct?” She asks.

          I nod.

          “So then the costume will be based on coal. But, we want people to remember you. Now, before we begin, I have this wonderful idea. Now, it isn’t originally my idea, but we’re going to add a few twists. The idea was used several years ago, and they gave the tribute the name, ‘Girl on Fire.’ But, it won’t be your name. As a stylist, I can’t steal everything.”

          I look at her and nod. I don’t really care about any of this, and I’m barley listening.

          She then takes out a bright red dress, with black, yellow and orange spots on it.

          “That’s beautiful!” I say, pretending to take interest while I look at the dress.

          She smiles and takes out a cape with a pattern that looked like flames. She hooks in onto the dress. “Now Katharine, are you afraid of fire?”

          I shake my head, knowing I love fire, and then realize where she’s going with this. She tells me to get into the outfit, so I do. I am stunning in it. When I walk out of my room, Danny is already there waiting for me. He is wearing the same thing, but instead of a dress, it was more of a unitard I guess, and the cape had to be clipped on. It was the same design as my dress, and it does not do well on him.

          “Wow.” He says amazed at my beauty. “You look amazing. You should wear that more often.” He then whispers in my ear, “This outfit is terrible on me. But it looks just amazing on you.”

          I giggle. “Shall we?”

          “We shall.” He says and laughs. He grabs my hand and we walk to the parade entrance with Patricia, and his stylist, Gorge I believe is his name.

          We both watch the parade on the TV, waiting for our turn. The other Districts are amazing as each stylist explained the district's specialty through the costume. With District four, the outfits are blue and scaly because District four has to do with fishing.

          “Now remember,” Patricia starts as it's finally our turn, “Heads up and smile. They will love you, trust me, you two will look stunning!”

          I smile nodding, and I then squeeze Danny’s hand as butterflies fill up my stomach. I can tell that Danny is also nervous, and he’s not alone on that one.

          We walk over to our chariot and step in to them. Patricia then lights up our capes with fake fumes, and we’re off.

          Instantly the crowed goes crazy over us. I wave, and blow kisses to them, acting like I love them. I even laugh at the fact that a group of guys tried to catch the dumb kisses. I look on the TV and the spotlights on me and Danny. I wink and smile deeply. Only one good thing comes out of this; the fact that they love me, and I’m bound to get sponsors.

          Once we finish, I let go of Danny’s hand. I’ve forgotten that he grabbed my hand in the first place. We step off the chariots and I feel a bit relieved. Joan runs up to us smiling and clapping her hands, and is followed by Mollie and out stylists.

          “You were both amazing!” Joan says. She then hugs us both.

          The fire on our capes is out, so I take mine off and hand it to her. Joan also takes Danny’s cape and hands them both to Patricia. I look around and notice some of the tributes are staring at us. I turn around, and try to hide my face. Danny and I are then sent into our rooms to wash up and get ready for supper.