Chapter 14

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping. I get up from my sleeping bag, still strapped to the tree, and sit up, leaning on a branch.

          My vision is a bit foggy. I then remember I still have my night vision glasses on. I take them off and put them in my backpack. I then remember the necklace. I reach in the sleeping bag and grab the necklace and put it on.

          I look down through the branches, and see Peter and his gang. Danny’s still not with them and neither is Tortian. I see them beginning to wake up.

          “Where are they? Danny and Tortian should be back by now!” Peter yells sounding and looking furious. His face is red and his hands are in fists.

          “How should I know?” Conner asks. "No, how should we know?" He says correcting himself.

          Just then, I could see Tortian run through the trees. He has blood on his forehead and a black eye. “Peter,” he yells catching his breath. “Danny, he, he got away.”

          “What?” Peter yells in disbelief. “How could you let this happen?”

          “He, well, all of a sudden, he jumped on me and started attacking me. We then got into a fight, but he punched my eye, and I couldn’t see. So I fell to the ground and I guess that’s when he got away. But don’t worry; he won’t make it out there. I cut him under his eye and threw a rock at his forehead, so he most likely won’t survive.” Tortian says still catching his breath. Peter then gives him a water bottle, and Tortian drinks.

          “We don’t need him.” Sundre says. “Let’s just get going. He was no help anyway.”

          “Fine, let’s go to the lake. She might have tricked us and headed there instead.” Peter says. “She is clever, probably even cleverer than we can expect.” Soon they all disappear to the lake.

          I sigh in relief once they are out of sight and get up. I pack up my stuff and grab my bows and arrows and decide to go hunting. I’m hungry, and my stomach feels hollow, and I don’t want to waste the crackers or dried fruit. I put on my backpack and climb down the tree and head in the opposite direction of the Career’s path.

          I end up shooting three rabbits and put them in my bag. By the time I’m done, the sun is high in the sky. It must be noon. I then make a small fire and cook a rabbit in it. Once I’m done, I put out the fire by stepping on it with my foot and start walking again, eating the kill. It’s warm and tender, and fills my stomach immediately. I also drink some water to quench my thirst. The day goes on and I’ve set already two fires to cook the rest of the rabbits. I’m also almost done with the water. As time goes by, I grow tired. The blazing sun is beating down on me. I decide to rest, and get some sleep. I think about climbing a tree, but I’m not in the mood, so I sit down under a shady tree and fall asleep.

          “Get up!” Someone yells at me.

          I open my eyes and look up to find Peter. “Oh no…” I murmur under my breath. I’m surrounded by his gang, and can’t get up, because I’m tied to the tree.

          “So, you’ve been hiding here, haven’t you?” He asks leaning down, glaring at me.

          “I wouldn’t call it hiding. I would call it trying to survive and distancing myself. Besides, I know about your little plan. How you tried to get Danny to tell you about me. How you’re going to try and kill me. I heard you. I was in that tree, above you last night. You are so dumb to not have figured it out.”