Chapter 5

I wake up to the sound of foot steps outside my room. It is still dark, and I know no one is allowed to leave their rooms in the middle of the night. I get out of bed and put on my boots. I quietly open the door. I hear the door to the roof close. I leave my room, and follow. Everything here looks different, and it’s all quiet. I pass Joan’s room and tip toe up the stairs.

          I walk onto the roof and I’m freezing. I wish that I had brought a sweater up here. I’d probably freeze to death if it was like this every night in the arena. The wind blows in my face, causing my dirty blond hair to blow back. I had to brush it back a few times so it wouldn’t get in my face and bother me. I look around a bit, and jump when something or someone taps my shoulder. I turned around, and was face to face with Danny.

          “Hey.” He says. He’s looking at me, and seems upset. The normal smile that’s across his face has faded away, and he looks depressed instead of lively and active.

          “What’s wrong Danny?” I ask. I’m so cold that the words hardly came out of my mouth. But I’m more concern about Danny. I put my hand on his shoulder and wait for a reply.

          “It’s nothing.” He says. He must have noticed how cold I am because he puts his sweater around me and places his arms around me, pulling me in, which warms me up.

          I don't care what he's doing with the fact that I’m uncertain nothings up, and that he’s hiding something, so I push him away. “Don't give me that crap. I know something’s up. I know you Danny. You can’t hide the fact that you’re unhappy, disappointed, and depressed and expect me to believe that nothing’s wrong.” I look at him with crossed eyes.

          “Maybe I don’t want to talk about it. Maybe I don’t want to tell you. Maybe it’s personal. I just want to be alone for now.” He says and looks a bit more upset. “Please, I just want to be alone for awhile. I need to think.”

          I get angry. We always tell each other how we feel, and I think I'm about to overact. “Fine, don’t tell me! At least I don’t hide stuff from my best friend. You know I can help you! I’ve always been able to make you feel better whenever you’re upset!” I throw him his sweater, turn around and walk away.

          “Katharine, wait—” Danny starts, but I didn’t bother to hear the rest. I don’t care what he has to say. He wants to be alone? Then fine. I’ll leave him alone, for the rest of his damn life!

          As I get back into my room, I take of my boots, and throw myself on the bed. I get under the covers, and feel like crying, but I don’t. What’s wrong with Danny? He hasn’t been acting like himself lately. Since we got chosen, he’s been acting strange. He’s been more affectionate towards me. And what’s this about not telling me what’s wrong? He tells me everything! And I mean everything. And he knows I can help him. I’ve always been able to help him feel better when he’s upset. This friendship, it’s not going to last any longer. I’m sure of it.

          I then drift off and fall asleep once more, dreaming about home again, which ends up making me cry.

          The next time I wake up, the sun is rising. I got out of bed and took a nice warm shower. I get dressed and put on a green shirt and black pants. I also braid my hair and put it in a nice red ribbon.