Red Spider Lily

As the birds began to sing outside, the palace rejoiced with it's lively hum.  Everyone had been restlessly working all night to secure the palace once more, and repair as much as they could.  The sun shined bright as everyone now rested, admiring their work, and anxiously awaiting the princess.

A small bird perched itself on Kamina's balcony, tilting its head sideways as it chirped its morning tune.  The suns rays lit the dark room, kissing Kamina's face.  Sessomaru immediately stood to shut the balcony doors, as to not wake Kamina.  As his hands reached for the doors, Kamina's voice stopped him. 

"How long have I been asleep?" She asked, propping herself up onto her elbow.  Sesshomaru returned to her side, supporting her into a sitting position. 

"Not long enough.  You've barely rested. " He sighed, pulling her hair away from her face worriedly.  His palm remained against her cheek as his eyes searched for a reason for him to not worry. 

"I'm fine, Sesshomaru. " Kamina said, placing her hand over his and giving it a gentle squeeze. Sesshomaru sighed and kissed her cheek. 

"Must you always make me worry?" He asked, pulling her head against his chest.  Kamina gave a small smile, gripping his sleeve.

"It's over now... you can worry less." She said. Sesshomaru kissed the top of her head again.  The two of them stayed like that for a moment, before realization caused Kamina to practically jump to her feet. "Hajime!" She gasped.  

Sesshomaru stood as well. " He's resting in the next room.  Momochi is with him. He should be fine. " Sesshomaru said. Kamina was already out the door as he followed. It didn't necessarily bother him.  Sesshomaru understood that Kamina cared for Hajime. But he was the one she loved.  She'd proven that enough times. And to Sesshomaru, there was no doubt in his mind he loved her just as much. 

Kamina reached Hajime's door and anxiously slid it open.  The sudden movement had her a bit out of breath.  Both Hajime and Momochi jumped slightly when they saw her.  Kamina was wearing a plain white kimono, and her long black hair fell smoothly over her shoulders.  Her eyes were their natural black, and her cheeks had their natural light flush.  Even with a strand of her hair falling over her face as she leaned against the door, out of breath, she still looked mesmerizing. 

Momochi helped Hajime sit up, a relieved smile plastered on her face from knowing that both of them were alright.   Sesshomaru supported Kamina by the hip so she could stand upright.  Once she recovered her breath, she glanced Hajime over before meeting his blue eyes. "I'm glad you're alive." She sighed, as Sesshomaru walked her to his side. She knelt down beside him and Hajime nodded, smiling. 

"  You too. " 

Kamina looked at him for a moment before wrapping her arms around him.  She held one arm around his shoulders tightly, and rested her other hand against the back of his head.  Hajime's eyes widened in surprise over her shoulder. 

Kamina closed her eyes, taking in the fact that he was alive.  That he was safe.  "Don't ever do that again, okay?" She whispered against his shoulder. 

The look in Hajime's eyes softened, and he held his hand against the back of her head. " I could say the same to you. " 

Hajime locked eyes with Sesshomaru.  But all the emotions he read were passive.  At this point, it was obvious who Kamina had chosen. And although Hajim cared for her, and knew she loved him, he realized he didn't love him like she did Sesshomaru.  That kind of love, was indescribable, and Hajime only hoped to one day mutually accept a love like that.  

Sesshomaru didn't seem bothered by the embrace at all, and instead waited patiently. As Kamina pulled away from Hajime, however, Sesshomaru noticed how Momochi's gaze fell to the floor. 

"Kamina." Sesshomaru broke the silence of the room.  "  Your parents will want to know you're awake.  And...."   Kamina nodded as he helped her rise. 

"Ichi..." Kamina turned to Momochi, as if asking her. 

Momochi nodded in response. " She hasn't left Ni's side.  She's at the infirmary. " 

The infirmary was its own wing within the palace.  It had many small independent room, as well as a large hall for emergencies such as what had occurred.  The infirmary also had a grand room reserved for the royal family, in which the King's Doctor tended to their needs.  The grand room was maintained well-lit, natural light flowing in from every open window.  A view of the garden grounds could be seen from outside.  Although, the usually glowing room  was now solemnly quiet, with rain dripping from the window shutters. 

Kamina slowly slid the door closed behind her.  At the center of the room, Ni's body rested over the finest silk, her body covered by a sheet of the same fabric.  Around her body, were candles, incense, sage, and red spider lilies scattered about. 

Ichi was on her knees in front of Ni's body, her hands balled into small fists over her knees.  Her red bangs cast a shadow over her eyes. 

Kamina approached her slowly.  Her voice was softer than the falling snow. "Ichi.."  What could she say? She had failed her.  She couldn't save her sister.  She had to watch her die.  All she could do was bring  back her body. She broke her promise to take care of her. 

Kamina knelt down beside Ichi, trying to find the right words. 

" What did she say?" Ichi's voice cut through the silence. 

"What?" Kamina asked, surprised. 

Ichi looked up, her eyes brimmed with tears.  "What did Ni say before she died?" she repeated. 

Kamina furrowed her brow. Her chest tightened in pain.  "She thought of you. " She replied, pulling herself together to look Ichi in the eye.  "She reminded me of how much she loved you- how much you meant to me. And she had me promise to look after you." 

A moment passed before Ichi smiled, tears falling down her eyes. "That sounds like her!" She smiled through the tears. "She should have been the older sister, always looking out for me!" Kamina's eyes watered as Ichi's shoulders slowly began to shake. "She's so silly! I was the oldest." Ichi said, her teardrops falling from her chin. Her smiles began to fall , although she tried her hardest to smile. " I was the oldest. I should have taken care of her. "  Her body shook violently with her sobs, and her hands clenched her kimono at her knees. 

A single tear fell from Kamina's face as she pulled her into her arms.