A Mother's Lament

There's many different forms of love. 

But there's power in very type of love. 

Fumiko and Momochi ran out onto the balcony, the light from the Ginryo Tree subsiding.  The rain had slowed now, and somehow coated the palace in a peaceful embrace.  The drops ran down Fumiko's face as she tilted her head back. Closing her eyes, she thought of her daughter. Her family.  Her lips parted slowly, as the last drop of rain fell on her cheek.

The palace was kept busy with anticipation, as everyone tended to the wounded.  Upon the Queen's orders, everyone got to work at once, cleaning debris and getting the wounded indoors.  The demons that that had appeared, were just as quickly defeated.  But in their wake, they left the palace in complete disarray. 

Momochi stood from the blood-soaked mat where she was tending to a wounded soldier.  The  number of casualties was low, but the number of wounded was about double. Still, most of th wounded soldiers didn't receive much serious injuries.  Momochi thanked the gods, as she collected her bloodied skirts, and walked past the other nurses.  She stood outside at the hall, and looked out to the gates of the palace.

  Any minute now...

Momochi clutched her hand to her chest in worry. Kamina....

Fumiko stepped out onto the hall as well, her nurses worriedly following her.  Her brow was furrowed with anticipation , and a worried frown creased hr porcelain face.  She clutched the small jade pendant around her neck; the one Cai had given her when they were married.

Momochi watched her.  If things fell apart, she would have only lost friends. But the Queen would have lost her family, her world.  She couldn't imagine what that must feel like.  

Suddenly, Fumiko stepped forward and shouted. "Open the gates!" 

Momochi blinked and followed her gaze.  Sure enough, the guards obeyed and did as old, revealing a small group. Fumiko exhaled in relief at the sight of her husband, and her daughter. 

Cai has a small cut on his cheek. His kimono was stained with blood but she knew it was not his. Behind him, stood Sesshomaru's half brother, a black-haired human girl, a monk, and another woman with a fox demon. Toushi was with them too... carrying the small red-haired girl.  Sesshomaru stood next to Cai, walking into the place grounds with Kamina in his arms.  Her Kimono was torn, and her hand hung limply at her side.  Her head was tilted back , so her bangs were cleared from her eyes.  The marking were gone. Only a bit of crimson blood stained her body.  But Sesshomaru's grim expression sent chills through Fumiko's body.

Momochi gasped when she saw them.  The demon she could only assume to be Inuyasha, from the stories Kamina had told, carried someone on his back.  The persons arm hung limp over Inuyasha's shoulder.  Momochi's eyes widened with realization. Hajime! His hair had fallen loose of its binding and fell over his shoulder, the ends soaked in blood. 

At once, fumiko ran to them, the nurses and doctors being called forth as well.  Cai embraced her tightly as she reached for Kamina as well. 

"She's alive." He breathed, pulling away so his wife could glance at their daughter.  Fumiko touched Kamina's cheek, her eyes brimming with tears.  She looked up at Seshsomaru, smiling in relief.  She looked just like her daughter just then. 

"Thank you. For keeping her safe." She told him. 

Sesshomaru looked down at Kamina before he glanced at Hajime over his shoulder. "Actually... He's the reason she's alive right now." 

Momochi touched Hajime's neck feeling for a pulse.  She glanced at Sesshomaru, who was already walking of.  "My condolences." He muttered.

Hours passed in silence at the palace.  The palace doctor joined the dead the night of the attack, defending the infirmary.  He left it upon Momochi to take up the position and care for the royal family.  

After the first few hours of reassuring, she sent Fumiko to her room, stating that the Queen had to rest, given the state she was in.   Fumiko and Cai glaced at their sleeping daughter once again before returning to their room.

Momochi worked in silence as she changed the water she was using to clean Kamina off. She wrung out the towel and set it aside.  Sesshomaru, who was sat beside Kamina's bed, didn't peel his yes off of Kamina.  It was almost dawn and she hadn't woken up.

"You should go see him."  Sesshomaru spoke. Momochi's hands stopped what they were doing and she turned to him, a bit surprised.  "He has no one, Momochi.  And you care for him, correct?" Sesshomaru glanced at her over his shoulder.  His amber eyes bore into her own violet ones before he turned back to Kamina.  What Momochi caught on to as sympathy, flashed away as he pulled up his cold wall once more. "Go. I'll watch her" He spoke, turning away to face Kamina.

Momochi hesitated before setting the towel down.  "Im only in the next room. Call me at once if she wakes up." Momochi said softly. Sesshomaru didn't respond, as the door closed behind her. Her bangs fell over her eyes, casting a shadow onto her face. The seconds ticked away before she found the strength to move again.  

Slowly, Momochi opened the door to the room.  The nurses excused themselves and left as she walked in.  Gently closing the door behind her, Momochi walked towards the futon in the center of the room and sat down.  She pulled a strand of loose hair away from Hajime's face.  He was stable, she was sure of it, but neither him nor Kamina had woken up yet. 

Momochi gazed at his peaceful face a moment longer before tilting her head down.  The image of Ni in Toushi's arms haunted her memory.  She'd cupped her face in her hands.  But  Ni's lifeless body didn't respond to her touch.  She was cold.  Her hair had lost its shine and her body was so frail.... 

Momochi remembered when the girls were younger. Ni would argue with Ichi about her older sister' s reckless behavior. Momochi could always depend on her to watch over Ichi. She was strong. She was independent. She was a beautiful soul.  

When their mother had entrusted Momochi to care for them before her death, they were just kids. They were merely 5 years old when they were left at Momochi's village.  The first few weeks was hard.  Ichi cried constantly, and spent hours sitting by her mother's grave.  Momochi remembered how Ni never stopped smiling for her sister.  She was the reason Ichi grew up happy, regardless of her own feelings.  

The images of Ni flooded her thoughts. Ni building snowmen with hr and Kirito.  Ichi and Ni helping Momochi pick herbs.  Ni smiling when she made Ichi their matching bracelets....

" It's alright..."

The sudden voice startled Momochi, and her eyes widened as his face wiped a stray tear off her cheek.  When had she started crying?  She hadn't even noticed....

Seeing Hajime awake sent a wave of relief through her body, regardless of the tears continuing to fall down her cheeks.  "You're awake." She acknowledge, attempting to smile. 

Hajime gazed at her sadly.  He set his hand behind her head and tiled her head to his chest.  "It's alright to cry. " He said.  "You deserve to mourn." 

Momochi's eyes were wide with surprise.  Why was he?....  He kept his had on the back of her head, as if waiting.  Momochi thought about Ni once more. The pain and grief filled her chest again and she rested her forehead against Hajime's chest. 

Hajime remained silent as he felt her shoulders shake with her sobs.