Chapter 05: Grateful

Chapter Five 

GRATEFUL

September

The first day of September. In Australia, and to Amy, is would mean the first day of Spring and the days would still have a harsh chill in the air. Spring meant the outbreak of blosoming flowers, the births of baby animals on the farm, and, of course, the start of new and loving romances. Amy hated Spring. The anticipation of Summer was all that Amy appreciated about Spring.

But now, for Amy, Summer was already upon her, skipping the dreaded period of Spring altogether. She'd taken an automatic humbleness for living in New Haven, accompanied by her new friends whom she felt she'd known a lifetime. Pippa felt like the sister one loved, but couldn't help hating at some moments. And Nick? To Amy, Nick felt like the brother she'd always longed to have. And both Pippa and Nick, Amy hoped, felt the same way about her.

But, there was still something different about them both that Amy was desperate to know.

"Pippa's getting impatient," Amy told Nick after reading a text message that Pippa had sent her only seconds ago. Amy and Nick were walking to a diner to meet Pippa, but were running late after their last lecture.

Nick's reply was him rolling his eyes. "Women," he muttered under his breath.

"Hey!" Amy hit Nick on his right shoulder with one of her folders she'd had in hand. "That wasn't nice," she continued, securing the same folder tightly to her chest.

"Calm down." Nick rolled his grey eyes yet again, his blonde, surfer-style hair glowing in the orange sunset.

They were both silent for the next few moments as they continued walking down the busy sidewalk. Many people were driving home from a day's work in New York City and others had opted to travel by foot.

"Do you even know where we're going?" Nick asked Amy after walking two blocks in silence.

Amy looked at Nick through the corner of her eye. "Are you doubting my mapping skills? I'll have you know, Mr Pratt, that I have a sixth sense in direction." She smiled at him in a playful manner.

"I'm not even going to answer that, but, seriously, do you know where the diner is or not?"

Amy and Nick came to a stop at a zebra crossing with a few other people, some frustratedly weaving around them. Amy pointed across the street. "The diner's there, idiot. So don't worry, you'll get to see your precious Pippa in a moment," she cooed in a teasing voice.

"Shut up..." Nick said, blushing.

Amy raised her eyebrows at her friend as they crossed the street together once there was a break in traffic. "Oooh," she whistled, "Nick's got a thing for Pip!"

"Shh!" Nick scowled, cupping his hand over Amy's mouth to silence her, but, instead, she broke out in hysterics.

She laughed and giggled across the road and to the diner where Pippa would surely be waiting... angrily.

"You're not to say anything," Nick warned as he released his grip on Amy. They both entered the diner together, Pippa's head clearly visible through the busy diner.

Waitresses, waiters and busboys were running around like madmen, trying to fulfill everyone's orders before they became too impatient. The mixure of customers included loud, boistrous teens and young adults, many families out for a simple and quick dinner, friends catching up over a meal, the couple who were making out grotesquely in the back booth, and many other 'species' of people. It amazed Amy, seeing as there were so many people out on a Tuesday night. A few she recognised as fellow students at Yale Law School.