Chapter 34: Jealousy

Chapter Thirty-Four
JEALOUSY

May

“Amy! C’mon – the cab’s here!”

“Just, hang on a minute, will you? Give me five minutes!”

“You said that ten minutes ago!”

Amy growled. “Fine! Be that way! It can be your fault if I look disgusting.”

Matthew rolled his eyes but didn’t argue the point. He waited at the foot of the stairs, clicking his tongue impatiently as he looked up at the second storey landing where Amy was due to emerge at any moment. He saw a glimpse of her bare foot before it was hastily taken back out of his view with hurried footsteps.

“Amy!”

“I need my bag and shoes! Just calm your farm!”

“Calm my farm? I’ve never heard that one before,” Matthew called back.

It was at that moment that Amy arrived in full view on the top step, beginning her descent down the staircase. Amy stood elegantly in a strapless black dress that just touched her knees. A large white bow was tied around her waist with the knot resting against her left hip. Her dark brown hair was beautifully curled into tight ringlets that were pinned up at the back of her head. She had a bejewelled silver clutch purse in her hand, which was adorned in highly polished finger nails. The look was finished with some of the highest stiletto heels Matthew had ever seen – silver heels with black criss-crossing ribbon on the top of the foot. Amy also wore delicate silver earrings and bracelets, along with her hypnotic, gracious smile.

“You – You look – You look a-amazing,” Matthew coughed, reaching out for her free hand as she reached the bottom step.

Amy smiled, but quickly turned that expression into a frown. “Really? You don’t think it looks... inappropriate?

Matthew blinked his eyes as he comprehended this question. “No, you look beautiful. You always do.”

Again, Amy smiled, this time blushing also. “Thanks,” she mumbled. “You look pretty handsome too?”

Of course, Amy was referring to Matthew’s stunning attire. He wore a pair of immaculate black denim jeans and bright white shoes that reminded Amy of her youngest uncle, Uncle Mark, who was always up to date with the current fashion. Matthew’s shirt was one of dark blue, tucked into the hem of his jeans, allowing for his white belt to be clearly seen. The colours were amazing in contrast. The sleeves of his shirt were folded up to his elbow – as far as they could go – and Amy didn’t blame him: the weather was ridiculously hot and humid. Matthew had also taken care to notice his hair – he had evidently applied hair gel to ensure that his hair stayed in its traditional, ruffled style. He was utterly breathtaking, especially when he shined his gorgeous smile.

“There’s no time to discuss how hot I am – I know already,” Matthew said as he kissed Amy on her temple, avoiding her lathering of lipstick. “Are you ready to go now?

Amy nodded and, hand in hand, she walked out the front door of Matthew’s house and climbed into the backseat of the yellow cab after the house had been locked. The sky was on the verge of turning into dusk with flecks of orange spreading through the sky in the west.

“Sorry about the wait,” Matthew apologised to the driver – a man around the age of Amy’s grandfather, “someone had to find her shoes.”

Amy slapped Matthew across the chest with her purse before fastening her seatbelt.

“Ah, not to worry,” said the cab driver who looked impatient to have his shift finished. Friday nights were his worst nights. “Where’ll you two be off to tonight?”