Chapter 39: Reluctance

Chapter Thirty-Nine
RELUCTANCE

July

The heated sun had barely risen in the cloudless sky of New Haven when Matthew awoke in accordance with his alarm clock. He shut of the nagging bleep of the alarm and rolled back over towards Amy, who had so kindly through the night thrown each and every one of the bed covers to the floor. The air was humid, and Matthew didn't dare embrace Amy like he'd have done during the cooler months for fear of her becoming overheated and uncomfortable.

"Amy..." he breathed as he stretched his limbs, slowly waking. He gained no reply from the sleeping figure beside him and again asked, "Amy?" He kissed her lightly upon her exposed cheek and she groaned.

"Go back to sleep," she mumbled, refusing to open her eyes. "It's way too early to function."

Matthew yawned. "You're the one with the early flight. C'mon. You're the one who told me to wake you, regardless of what you said."

Amy became lost in her hazy thoughts as she recollected the previous night's events. She groaned once more, and without opening her eyes, she said one word, "Coffee."

"What about this," Matthew bargained; "I'll make us some coffee and you go have a shower? Deal?"

Amy sighed, finally opening her hazel eyes to meet Matthew's brown ones. "Fine."

Matthew smiled and kissed Amy's pouted lips. "Quickly, now. You don't want to be late."

Amy groaned, pulled herself out of bed and moved into the en suite bathroom. Matthew then headed downstairs once he was certain Amy had started the water. In the kitchen, Matthew turned the air cooling system to a cooler temperature before brewing two cups of coffee. He walked carefully back upstairs into his bedroom and found Amy crouched on the floor, a white fluffy towel around her, searching for clothes in her large purple suitcase.

"Need some help?" Matthew asked, setting the cups of coffee down on the nearby dresser.

"Nah, I've - got it," Amy huffed, pulling a light pink tank top out from the bottom of her suitcase. She collected her underwear and clothes and headed back into the en suite bathroom to get dressed. Matthew did the same, dressing quickly in his walk-in wardrobe. He finished earlier than Amy - she was most probably applying her make up - and so he straightened up the bed covers and tidied the bedroom. Amy re-emerged minutes later, her hair blown dry, looking completely radiant, despite the large frown she wore on her lips.

"What's wrong?" Matthew inquired, concerned.

"Nothing," Amy lied, stuffing the remainder of her belongings into the over-packed suitcase and zipping it shut.

"Don't lie, Amy," Matthew said, kneeling down beside her, holding her shoulder. "What's up?"

Amy wiped her eyes with the back of her hand before leaning into Matthew's side, wrapping his arm around herself. "It feels weird to be leaving without you. I'm going to miss you so much."

"It's only for a week, Amy."

"I know, but," Amy said, wiping her tearful eyes, "I've become so accustomed to living with you, it'll be strange when you're not there."

Matthew sighed, keeping strong. "We discussed this earlier, though. It's better this way. C'mon. I'll make you breakfast."

Amy wiped her eyes once more before standing beside Matthew. She retrieved her cup of coffee and began drinking it appreciatively as she descended the staircase behind Matthew. They reached the kitchen where Matthew began to make a pair of omelettes. The smells of egg and herbs filled Amy's senses, giving her a sense of home. A home she would be devastated to leave.