Chapter 08: First Words

Chapter Eight 
FIRST WORDS

October

Amy felt like vomiting. The sight in front of her was sickening: Nick and Pippa entangled together on the couch, engaged in an excessive display of their raw emotion.

"Ew, guys," Amy called as she closed the front door behind her. Her statement was to both announce her presence and to get Nick and Pippa off of one another.

And to Amy's great relief, it worked.

"Sorry, Amy," Nick apologised as he moved off of Pippa, pecking her lightly on her lips.

Amy mumbled a response, unsure as to how she was supposed to reply to something like that.

Nick Pratt and Pippa Jones had been dating for five weeks now, and Amy was becoming sick of it. She'd come home each night to find the pair of them making out on the couch, much like today, or a note from Pippa saying that she was staying at Nick's dormitory that night. Even when such actions were prohibited.

And the days weren't any better. In the classes Amy had with either Nick or Pippa, they'd both continue to swoon over one another to an even greater scale than beforehand. Amy was always hanging out for those classes she had alone - the one's where she wouldn't have to be exposed to such outburts of pure love and emotion.

Amy did hope that Nick and Pippa's relationship would settle down, but that day seemed forever away.

"Anyone want to come to the library tonight?" Amy asked, gathering any books she needed that weren't already in her bag. Even though she knew both Nick and Pippa would deny the offer - something which she was thankful of - she still offered to be polite. Amy had to get out of the dormitory the nights Nick was over, because it honestly made her queasy to be in the same room as he and Pippa.

Both Nick and Pippa glanced at one another, Pippa's long brown hair tangled from Nick's fingers. "Uhh," Pippa began, unsure how to explain the situation.

Nick had a look of guilt upon his face. "I was going to take Pippa out for dinner tonight. Sorry, Amy."

Pippa slapped Nick's shoulder. "Amy, you should come too. It would be fun, and we haven't spent much time with you lately. Come."

"No thank you," Amy replied, packing her bag with the essential references she needed. "I've got a heap of studying to do."

"But-" Pippa began, but Amy paced to the door.

"Thanks for the offer. Bye." Amy shut the door behind her, and she immediately heard Pippa and Nick start conversation. Amy was the topic of course, and she didn't want to hear it.

Amy marched to the library of Yale Law School, reading one of her textbooks as she went, focusing on the current topic of the various courts and jurisdictions. She managed to avoid bumping into any oncoming traffic of students, eventually arriving at her destination after many long flights of stairs.

Again, when Amy entered through the grand doors of the library, she was absorbed into a calm and serene environment, one she'd come to admire. There was no noise but the rustle of papers and tapping of computer keys, as well as the occasional cough or sneeze.

Amy took to admire the many works displayed in the library. The many artworks, the grand ceiling, the historical documents of famous crimes or respected judges, and the extensive range of reference books and articles. This library much reminded Amy of the library in the Supreme Court of Victoria, Melbourne. The documents of Ned Kelly's execution and the very first Holy Bible used in the court were amongst Amy's favourite documents to admire.