Chapter 29: Waking

Chapter Twenty-Nine 

WAKING

There was no sound in Matthew's bedroom the following morning, except for the deep, peaceful breathing of the two lovers lying beside each other under the white doona of Matthew's bed. Matthew laid on his back, slightly turned to the right where Amy's face was rested against his rising chest, a relaxed expression on her tired face. Both their bodies were completely free of any clothes, their body heat reassuring the other one of the peace in the room.

The silence was broken, however, when Matthew's mobile phone began ringing from somewhere on the floor where it lay in his jeans pocket. He woke in a sudden burst, but had no desire to move as it would awaken Amy from her deep and calm sleep. He relaxed his body as he yawned a couple of times, stroking Amy's hair slowly, lovingly.

The ringing stopped for a moment but then started up again from his bedside table - the landline this time. This phone was within arm's length and Matthew reached for the cordless phone, answering it on the third ring. Still, Amy lay beside him fast asleep.

"Hello?" he answered in a half whisper.

"Hmph," a female voice squeaked from the other end of the call. "You must be Matthew. My name is Allison Carter. I'm looking for my sister, Amy."

Matthew had a complete mind blank for a moment as he absorbed the words. Eventually, his mind unfroze. "Er, um, she's asleep."

There was a squeak of disapproval from Allison. "Well then wake her up. I need to talk to her."

"B-" Matthew started, but he figured there was no point in arguing with Allison; there was obviously something important she had to tell her sister if she'd had to uncover Matthew's number. "One moment," Matthew said reluctantly, placing the phone against his chest so that Allison couldn't hear his next words or movements.

"Amy," he whispered, gently shaking her body with his hand on her bare shoulder. He kissed her neck a couple times until she began to stir awake. She groaned a little, opening her eyes weakly to see Matthew's brown ones. She blushed a violent shade of red as she remembered the night's activities and hid her face in embarrassment under the nearest pillow.

"Amy," Matthew said a little more seriously, but lovingly still. "Amy, your sister's on the phone. She wants to talk to you."

A second passed before Amy absorbed Matthew's words. She brought her face out of the pillow and looked at Matthew in disbelief. "What?"

Matthew shrugged. "I have no idea how she got my number. But she wants to speak to you." He held out the phone to Amy and she looked at it in horror.

"Tell her I'm asleep," Amy suggested, not wanting to speak to her sister at this moment. Why did she have to pick this very moment in time to call? Why couldn't she have given Amy some space in this intimate and exciting time of her life? Why did she have to interfere at every corner of her life?

"She wanted me to wake you up," said Matthew, worried as to why Amy was so reluctant to speak with her sister.

With a sigh, Amy took the phone out of Matthew's hand and sat up in the bed, pulling the sheet up her body, covering all the essentials. Matthew lay down still, tracing random patterns across the bare skin of her back, sending playful shivers up her spine.

"What's up, Allie?" Amy asked in a sleepy voice, even yawning loudly.

"Where the hell are you?!" squealed Allison, obviously enraged about something.

"Um, the United States of America?" Amy answered, knowing that this was not the answer her sister wanted. But she didn't care. Why did Allison have to know about her every move?