Chapter 07: Relationships

Chapter Seven 
RELATIONSHIPS

The air was hot and the dormitory was quiet. Amy lay on her bed, awaiting Pippa's return, but that seemed years away. She'd promised that she'd be home at eleven o'clock. Pippa's promise was already broken.

Amy counted down the seconds until the digital alarm clock on her night stand read: twelve a.m..

Three.

Two.

One.

Nothing. The door didn't open and there was no contact from Pippa. Not a phone call; not even a text message. She was already an hour late, and Amy had no idea as to when Pippa would come home.

"I'll be home no later than eleven. Trust me." Pippa had said to Amy before she'd exited the dormitory and gone on her second date with Nick.

Amy rolled over on her bed to face the blank, white wall, kicking a blanket off her bed as it was providing too much heat.

"So much for trust," Amy mumbled to herself, shifting around atop her mattress until she was comfortable. It had only been two weeks since Amy had let slip to Pippa that Nick loved her, and since then, the both of them had been inseparable.

And it was making Amy sick.

She covered her head with the spare pillow and tried to block out the memory. But it came back, more forceful than ever...

* * *

"Spence..." a fifteen year old Donna Patricks giggled one day at school as Spencer Roberts tickled his girlfriend's abdominal muscles. Both Yani Ulla and Amy Carter - year nine students at the time - smiled as they watched their friend flirt with her first boyfriend. All their faces were scarred with acne due to their progression through puberty. But none of them saw each other's pimples, instead, they saw each other for what was under that acne-riddled skin: each others' souls, hearts and love.

He was in year twelve, she was in year nine, but yet, Spencer and Donna's young, free-spirited love was something different from the others around. It had meaning, love and devotion, whilst the other 'loves' were powered by lust, peer pressure and the aim to be popular in the school.

"They're so cute together," Yani whispered to Amy, looking at the young couple with awe.

"Yeah," Amy mumbled, unable to hold back her smile when she looked at Donna and Spencer also. Her friends always had the magic to make Amy forget the pain and enjoy he moment. And she was beyond thankful for that.

"Keep it PG thirteen, Roberts," Spencer's psychology teacher, Mr Edwards, called as he walked past the four friends.

Spencer rolled his eyes as he removed his arms from Donna's shoulders and took her hand instead. "Yes, Eddy," Spencer replied.

"Don't call me Eddy!" Mr Edwards called in a light manner as he walked around the corner of a building and out of sight and earshot.

"Yeah, Spencer," Donna giggled, "keep it clean for the young children around - they don't want to be scarred."

Spencer smiled and slowly brought his plump lips to Donna's ear. He whispered something in Donna's ear that made her blush and breathe out a gasp of shock.

"Spence?" Donna asked.

"Shh," he whispered back, kissing her shocked lips lightly, "later."

Upon reflection, Amy came to the conclusion that this would have been the night Donna had lost her virginity. And that was a major difference compared to what had happened to Amy that day...