Chapter 19: Uncontrollable

Chapter Nineteen 

UNCONTROLLABLE

Over the week that past after Christmas Day, Amy discovered that she hated the cold more than she had ever thought. On Christmas Day, hail and storms had greeted New Haven and it had even started snowing in some of the surrounding suburbs. Matthew had offered to take Amy to see the snow, but she'd had no desire to ever experience a white Christmas. She preferred the scorching hot sun on Christmas Day in Australia compared to the no-show sun in America.

Amy had stayed the remaining week with Matthew at his home as she still didn't want to go back to her dorm where she'd be alone. (Pippa and Nick were due to fly back in a couple days.) And in that time, they'd watched many cheesy films on television and acted like crazy, immature beings.

For example, when a song Amy knew had come on MTV one day, Amy had stood up from the kitchen bench where she'd been talking to Matthew, and opted to dance insanely in front of the television, singing into one of the remote controls. Afterward, she'd blamed the sugary cereal she'd eaten earlier for her erratic behaviour.

Having so much fun, Amy had all but forgotten about the incident at JFK Airport. She'd learnt of information that seven people had been killed - two of which had been security staff - and that four of the five suicide bombers had been jailed - the other one had opted for taking his own life instead of being caught. Matthew had prayed for their families whilst Amy had stayed stunned all day. She tried not to think about it too often, but it had been hard when the news had reached her mother's ears.

"That could have been you, Amy! I want you to come home right now!" It had taken Amy hours to pursuade her mother that she was fine and that coming home would not have helped at all. It would have hindered, more than helped, as her scholarship was only halfway completed.

For New Years' Eve, Matthew was planning to take Amy into New York to see the incredible ball drop that was famous around the world. Amy was excited for the trip, and climbed into the truck eagerly, her stitches no longer in place as Matthew had removed them the day before. She had warm clothes on, knowing it would be freezing in New York tonight.

When Matthew reversed his truck out of the garage, the evening sky was red as the sun was slowly going down to end yet another year. It wasn't raining today, but the heavy clouds looked like they could drop a downpour at any moment.

Heading onto the freeway, Amy got a text message from her sister: 'Ha ha, it's already January first here! It's about forty degrees right now! ... Happy New Year xx'

Amy just rolled her eyes and put her phone away.

"Who was that?" Matthew asked curiously.

"Allie. She's bragging that it's already New Year and that the weather's warm. Apparently it's forty degrees during the night." Amy sighed. She greatly missed the heat of Australia.

Matthew gave a puzzled look. "Forty degrees? That's freezing cold, Amy!"

"Celsius. Forty degrees Celsius. Not Fahrenheit." Amy rolled her eyes. "That's probably... a hundred and five Fahrenheit. Give or take."

"Woah, woah, woah," Matthew started, shock across his face. "It get's that hot in winter?"

"Matt, it's summer over there."

"Oh. Yeah, I guess it is. Sorry, forgot."

"But, forty degrees is still really hot for December. It's usually the hottest in January and February." Amy sighed and looked out the truck window. The clouds were overcast and the towns looked a sleepy grey. Nothing like what it would have been in Australia.

They arrived in New York City at nine o'clock that night, with three hours to kill. They bought take away food to eat - corndogs, which Amy had never before eaten in her life, but wondered why, seeing as they were incredibly mouthwatering. After their quick meals, they bought hot coffees and began walking the streets around Time Square, waiting for midnight to come. Hundreds, if not thousands, of people were already gathered, awaiting the ball drop too.

As time got closer and closer to midnight, it became a push and shove effort to get a reasonable place to view the ball drop. Matthew and Amy found a place somewhere in the middle of Time Square, still being pushed and shoved by others, but they figured it would be one of the best places to be. Matthew's heart was racing for other reasons than the celebration about to take place.

He'd lived with Amy for over a week now and never wanted that simple, carefree arrangement to come to an end. He enjoyed waking up in the mornings to find Amy downstairs, smiling. She was happy, about the most simple and basic of things; such as Vegemite on toast which Matthew still couldn't bring himself to even try. Amy was a blast to be around with all day and it made Matthew happy that she would go off to sleep at night with a grin or a smile on her face, sometimes a giggling laugh, even. But Matthew's most favourite part was the nights they fell asleep together on the couch. They'd be incredibly warm against each others' skin, and Amy didn't ever react that they were so close together. And that's what gave Matthew the ultimatum to risk everything he had with Amy, to find out if he could take whatever relationship they had that one step further.

He'd given her numerous pecks over the last few days, but felt confident in going one better than lips to forehead: lips to lips.

The sky was pitch black and there was only dim light from the neon signs around the Square, as well as the large clock counting down the time until the new year. There were only five minutes left and everyone was excited. Especially Amy. She was jumping up and down on the spot, either trying to warm herself up or incredibly excited, shouting and laughing.

"It's almost time, Matt!" she chanted as she continued to bounce up and down like a rabbit.

And there were only sixty seconds to go now.

Matthew guessed that the noise level at Time Square would be quite loud; or at least, louder than what he could hear. He couldn't hear anything. He could only see Amy. Her skin, her long hair, her bright and shining eyes, and her smile. Especially her smile. It was his target, and he knew when the time would be to take the risk: in only thirty seconds.

He stumbled closer to her with only fifteen seconds left until New Year. At first, Amy didn't seem to notice Matthew's intent gaze or close proximity, but with only six seconds to go, she did. Her body froze as it sensed what Matthew's intention was. But she didn't seem to say anything. And if she did, Matthew didn't hear it.

"THREE... TWO... ONE!" the crowd chanted excitedly as the ball came to the end of its route. And that ball drop was due to change Matthew's life forever.

Convincing Amy 

© stephii 2010