Chapter 06: Study Group

Chapter Six 
STUDY GROUP

Amy Carter's first two weeks of study at Yale Law School passed by in a breeze... A very strong, hurricane-like breeze.

Her workload was intense and already she was having difficulty keeping up with everybody else - it was all just so different compared to Monash University in Melbourne. The main difference - apart from the strange and varying American accents - was the lecturers. Back home, Amy found her lecturers to be extremely encouraging and supportive, but the lecturers at Yale, however, didn't seem to show the same support. At least, not what Amy nor Pippa nor Nick could see. Amy was from Australia and the lecturers at Yale Law School seemed to discriminate against such a fact greatly. Especially Mr Moraan.

"I'm not even going to ask you for the answer - I can't stand the way you lot speak!" he'd told Amy just the other day. Mr Moraan had asked the class a question on the inquisitorial system of trial compared to the adversary system of trial, and Amy had been one of the first to raise her hand. But, after the rude comment from the lecturer, Amy hadn't bothered raising her hand for the rest of the lecture... or any others of Mr Moraan's that followed.

And, of course, Nick and Pippa weren't helping with the situation. Instead, throughout and in between sessions, they would each drone and swoon to Amy about how in love they were. And Amy was getting sick and tired of it all.

"Pippa's so gorgeous!"

"How hot is Nick!" (Obviously Pippa had not implied this to be a question.)

"Have you seen the way her hair shines in the sun?"

"Don't you love how his stunning grey eyes look right into your heart when he looks at you? And his voice! God, he's so sexy!" Pippa had swooned only hours ago to Amy through their only lecture that they had together.

"Pippa! Shut up!" Amy had whispered angrily whilst the lecturer - not Mr Moraan, but Ms Sprague - was still talking. Amy's hand was like a machine as she tried to write down everything Ms Sprague was saying about the different legislative processes.

"Amy?" Pippa asked in shock. It wasn't like Amy to get angry. Well, not for the time Pippa had known her.

Amy continued to take notes for another moment. "I'm sick of all this Pippa, just go tell him how you feel - he's in love with you too." Amy wasn't sure if she was supposed to share that last part, but in truth, she was glad that it was out in the open.

"Really?!" Pippa asked in a euphoric voice - much more glee than when she would swoon over Nick. "Are you serious, Amy?"

"One hundred and ten percent. Now, shut up!" Amy was frustrated and she had no patience for Pippa at the moment - Ms Sprague was moving along fast.

Soon enough, only about halfway through the session, Pippa was collecting her things - laptop, notebook, pens, etc. - and was shoving them hurriedly into her bag. Much of it was spilling out over the top.

"Talk to you later!" she called to Amy, but all the class would have heard. Pippa whizzed past Ms Sprague as she was now drawing a large and complex diagram to support what she was saying.

Ms Sprage stopped what she was doing and watched as Pippa dropped all her things as she was exiting through the door, smiling as she watched her reluctantly collect her things again.

"Miss Carter, what was all that about?" Ms Sprague smiled as she recommenced writing on the blackboard.

Amy was still in a crabby mood. "I have no idea."

Ms Sprague left it at that and continued the lecture. And, though Amy tried as hard as she could to keep up with her lecturer, she felt as though it were all going in through one ear and straight out the other.